Chapter 3

[ Cho Seungmin's POV ]

I finished my rap, and there was a decent amount of clapping. The judges also looked impressed, but I could tell that they had questions.

A woman who looked to be in her late 20s asked first.

"Participant Cho Seungmin, I must admit that your voice kept me drawn into your performance. Your movements also made the stage more lively. But I have to ask, why did you not dance as well? It seems like you're capable of doing so."

I smiled.

"Thank you for your praise," I said honestly. "I chose not to dance while rapping because it would be overambitious of me."

"Oh, yes," a man said as he shifted through some papers. "It says on your form that you've never had any training before. But this makes me doubt your introduction. You mentioned you like to dance."

"Is it only that you like to dance? Are your skills not good enough to show?" he was saying.

"Do you have a dance performance prepared?" another woman asked. Her tone was sharp, and she stared at me deeply.

I glanced at the production team below, who whispered amongst themselves. I didn't have another song chosen to be played.

But aren't plot twists what entertainment writers like?

That's what B told me, at least.

I shook my head as I answered, "I'm confident in my freestyle."

There was another murmur from the crowds.

The woman who asked about a second performance narrowed her eyes. It was obvious that she thought I was cocky.

I went to the side and requested a song to be played. It was upbeat enough for anyone to dance some popular moves, but there was a particular section I was waiting for.

As the song began to play, I stepped to the rhythm and calmly added in a few arm movements until I made my way back to the center. There, I did some easy, popular K-pop choreography moves while adding in my own style.

I was having fun, but that wasn't the end of it.

I began moving out of the center and throughout the entire stage. 

Then the beat dropped.

I dropped along with it, jumping onto my back at the center of the stage, right below the spotlight.

Swiftly making use of the momentum, I shifted the weight onto my shoulder and then to my arm, spinning on the palm of my hand. My legs contorted as I rolled onto the floor and landed on my feet. I did a few house shuffle tricks before going down on my hands again and swinging my legs around me.

In the end, I did one last spinning move and slowed down, propping myself on an elbow and crossing my legs as they sprung out to the side.

I was breathing hard as the song came to a stop. It was difficult to hear above the loud cheers.

Even the judges had wide smiles on their faces.

"Wow, so you're a b-boy! Did you take lessons?" one of the female idol judges awed.

I rose from the ground and bowed.

"I..attended some free lessons at 1Billion Dance Studios," I huffed, putting the mic a distance away from my mouth so my panting wouldn't be heard.

I taught myself how to breakdance long ago. It wasn't until two years ago that I started learning at a studio.

The man also picked up his microphone again, saying, "Incorporating a b-boy into a k-pop group is difficult. But I could see you tried some k-pop dances to even it out...I have some expectations for you."

"Thank you," I said between my breaths. "I hope I will meet your expectations."

There were more compliments and critiques from the other judges, and then they put their mics down and began discussing amongst themselves.

And with that, I was placed in 16th. It was probably because I said I couldn't dance and rap at the same time.

But that was my goal.

Because ranking too high in the very first filming wouldn't make a big impact later.

"B was right. It seems like they couldn't scout enough talent and ended up finding random people like me to fill in the spots. She almost guaranteed that I would rank well compared to others," I thought to myself as I walked up the stairs of the rank chairs.

B loves K-pop. I don't.

It's not something I like or dislike because I knew nothing about it.

So after my screen test ten days ago, I asked her about the basics of an idol audition.

She and the others were shocked to hear that I was suddenly entering a program such as Idol Inc. But they became enthusiastic about my decision, B in particular. I didn't get to go home until past midnight because she rambled about how programs work. Said something about buying photocards.

As I climbed the last stair, I glanced at those already sitting in the aisle and smiled.

"Hello," I greeted, sitting down in my chair. It was right next to the boy I saw at the karaoke. I expected to see him here, but I didn't think I would end up so close to him.

"His eyes really are hazel."

He looked a little different from what I remembered. He got a haircut.

"Hello. I'm Park Moondae, nice to meet you," he said. His voice was surprisingly monotone for him being a vocalist.

He also seemed wary of me for some reason. His eyes, although emotionless, were ever-so-slightly crinkled. I could only assume it was because I ranked above him.

On the other side of me in the 15th-place chair, there was a tall boy with a wide grin. Based on his legs, I thought he might be around 190 cm.

"Hi! I'm Lee Sejin. Your dance was amazing," he complimented brightly.

"Thank you," I answered with a smaller smile. "Yours was too."

Lee Sejin laughed heartedly before asking for my age, to which I answered, "Nineteen."

"Oh, you're a year younger than me," he grinned.

"Yes, I will call you Lee Sejin hyungnim then," I concluded pleasantly.

While the next performance was about to begin, he smiled again, though it was a little mischievous.

"Teach this hyung how to breakdance sometime~"

We stopped talking as the music was cued by the participant.

It was boring to watch every single performance after me. I would have fallen asleep if B hadn't warned me about the cameras everywhere, but there was something else that also kept me awake.

The person from the karaoke kept glancing at me. It didn't seem very absentminded but more focused on my hair than my face itself.

It happened twice, once when he tried to cover his gaze with his movements as we moved down a seat because someone knocked us down. Once again while he purposely brushed his hair with his hand.

I would've asked if there was something on my face if I knew that was the case. But there was nothing there. So I didn't ask.

The only other possibilities of interest were crossed out easily. He wasn't recognizing me from somewhere. I kept my face as hidden as I could. And he hadn't seen me at the karaoke.

But it was good if he was curious about me because I was curious about him.

At some point, I made eye contact with him. He was very good at hiding his expressions--he blinked and looked away. I smiled and focused on the stage again.

And with that, the show went on.