New Year Special

Decorated light poles, unified families, rosy cheeks, and colorful fireworks in the sky. These were things Seungmin knew happened the night right as the bell struck twelve, New Years night. But being in such a unique situation, Cho Seungmin had never experienced such.

Cho Seungmin's New Years night was always spent in the coldest of gang wars. Fireworks were a great mask for gunshots and small explosives, after all. Seungmin had never experienced a New Years where he hadn't been nicked by bullets a few places or broken some bone.

However, he was living a new life now as an aspiring idol. And that meant having other aspiring idol friends who did experience a normal New Years.

So now, Seungmin was sitting in Seon Ahyun's living room where the fireplace was lit and the large TV showed the live footage of the main fireworks area.

"Before I go, did anyone else want extra marshmallows in their hot chocolate?" Ahyun's mother asked from the kitchen.

"Dear, leave the kids alone now," Ahyun's father chuckled. He motioned for her to come to him at the doorway so they could leave for their date.

"No, this is perfect, thank you, and have a great outing!" Keun Sejin shouted back, smiling. Once the adults left the house, he turned to face Ahyun.

"Hey, thanks for letting us swing by. It's so nice here."

"O-of course! Thanks f-for coming!" Ahyun responded with a blush.

Park Moondae was the last to arrive of the four. He apologized and said traffic was heavy before he sighed and sat next to Seungmin. He undid his face mask and put it in his pocket.

"Moondae hyung," the youngest one greeted in his usually warm voice. Of course, this was something only Park Moondae was used to hearing. Never had Seungmin used such a sweet voice for someone else, and everyone was aware of this. Ahyun and Sejin allowed Seungmin to greet Moondae first for this reason.

"Hi," Moondae greeted back, "how was your day?"

Seungmin sipped his cup of hot chocolate before replying, "Fine. How about you?"

"Good."

"Hey, Moondae, here's your cup too. Ahyun's mother made it just now so it's hot~"

Moondae nodded his head as he received the mug from Sejin. The taller one then sat on the ground and placed his own mug on the coffee table. Ahyun also sat down on the other side.

In front of them, the fireplace was lit, warming their faces, and the hot chocolate warmed their hearts. Seungmin couldn't help but feel a little uncomfortable being so warm that night.

Moondae seemed to notice this. He slid a little closer to Seungmin and whispered, "Are you okay?"

"Dont worry, Moondae hyung," Seungmin murmured. With his hyung being in such close proximity, Seungmin took the chance to lean his head on Moondae's shoulder.

He closed his eyes and listened to the sounds of the two others chattering about the survival show. Suddenly, there was a large bang that caused Moondae hyung to flinch.

Ahyun quickly shuffled toward the front door, peeked outside, and smiled widely as he let in Cha Eugene and Kim Raebin.

"Hi hi hi!" the redhead beamed, waving eagerly as he ran into the living room.

"Hello, thank you for inviting us!" Raebin bowed, neatly putting his shoes to the side and lining up Cha Eugene's as well.

"Hey guys, we've got hot chocolate and some snacks!" Sejin greeted back happily.

As the two youngest chattered about the motley of snacks laid out on the table, Seungmin sighed as he relaxed onto Moondae hyung's shoulder.

Truly, had he ever felt as relaxed as this?

"Look, the fireworks are starting!"

"Gather together!"

"W-wait, don't spill t-the drinks!"

Like this, everyone huddled together on the couches to watch the fireworks on TV. 

Seungmin, not knowing the comforts of watching fireworks, looked around at the new people he met along his way. They all had glimmers in their eyes, smiles on their faces.

He looked at Moondae.

Park Moondae's hazel eyes were waned ever so slightly, content.

Seungmin looked back at the screen.

"Are you guys ready?" Sejin shouted brightly. Together with the others, he started counting down from 10.

"10...

9...

8...

7...

6...

5...

4...

3...

2...

1!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

With a strange warmth in his chest, Seungmin smiled.

"Happy new year."