Chapter 4

[ Park Moondae's POV ]

"Debut or die" was written on the bright red screen I saw in my status window. It meant that if I didn't debut within 365 days, I would die. It was the reason why I had a system after transmigrating into this body--my mission, like in those reincarnation novels.

But now, "Debut or die" wasn't written just on my status window. It was also on the person sitting next to me.

Cho Seungmin, a person with stats I couldn't see.

I tried looking at other people's status windows as well, and it turned out that only Cho Seungmin's stats were hidden from me.

While the 60th participant went on stage, I realized it was because of his status abnormality.

================================
[ Sealed truths ]
No one will know who you are beneath your mask. Your skill grades will be hidden unless 'On the spot!' is activated.
================================

It was true. When Cho Seungmin was performing and I saw the pop-up saying his characteristic was on, I could see two of his stats amidst the question marks on the screen:

[ Name: Cho Seungmin ]
Vocal: C+ (?) (Rapping: B-)
Dance: B+ (?)
Visual: ?
Charm: ?
Characteristics: On the spot! (active)
!Status abnormality: Sealed truths & Debut or die!

But those grades weren't particularly set in stone. And that was because of his characteristic.

================================
[ On the spot! ]
You can use your intelligence and strengths to get your wanted outcome on the spot, regardless of skill level. When active, the grade you're performing at will be revealed!
================================

Basically, it was a characteristic that could change Cho Seungmin's grades to anything he wanted in a given situation. But the grade couldn't rise above what his maximum potential could be, and I couldn't see what that was.

"Isn't that too unclear for a system?"

As the final, 77th participant was ranked, I clapped with the crowd and thought silently to myself for a long time.

The strangeness of not being able to see someone else's grades didn't change the fact that he was also in the same situation as me: he'll also die if he doesn't debut.

But did this mean that he was also someone who regressed in time? Was he also a system user?

These kinds of thoughts persisted as I got on the bus. It was a premium bus meant for those ranked 11th through 25th. I was ranked 22nd after being pushed back a few more times, so I was lucky enough to get a seat.

Even if the ride would be less than 10 minutes long, I didn't want to be in the position of those ranked 51st to 77th: they had to walk to the residence hall.

In a crooked contrast, those ranked in the top 10 were riding a limousine.

I looked out of the window of the bus and watched as the top two ranked got in the car first. They were both from a famous agency, and I remember that one of them ranked first in the final ranking. There was also Ryu Chungwoo, the former national archery member. He ranked 9th even though he was the last to perform, and he also debuted from the program in the future.

It would be best to get close to them in order to raise my own chances of debuting.

Keeping this in mind, I looked down at the crowd of people walking to the residence hall. They were all smiling in front of the camera, but it was obvious that they were gritting their teeth inside.

It was rather...

"Sad."

I turned to see Cho Seungmin looking out the same window I was peering through. He was standing in the aisle, and slowly, his narrow eyes lulled to look at me.