Chapter 7

Connor kills the 4 walkers that were feasting away on Daniel and freezes when he sees what they left behind. Daniel's body lay there on the ground with a hole where is abdomen used to be and he had guts spilling out of his chest cavity and the smell was overwhelming. "O-oh fuck!" Connor says gagging and looking away from the gruesome scene. "Where are the damned military!" Connor asks under his breath as he staggers back into the shop after the fight with the few walkers outside. 

"What happened." Layla asks as soon as Connor walks in the door and he gives her a grim look. "Walkers overwhelmed Daniel and he couldn't hold them off even with me taking out 2 of them, he got devoured." Connor says hanging his head slightly. "I couldn't save him." He finishes and walks off into the store. "N-no, no that's can't b-be right!" Layla exclaims as she runs outside to check and sure enough there lies the body, torn open with guts spilling out. "NOOOOOOOOO!!!" Layla screams as she falls down beside Daniel's body. "Why's she so upset?" Sophie asks tilting her head slightly. "Her and Daniel were dating." Jacob said with a solemn nod of his head. "This is gonna hit her like a ton of bricks." Jacob added still looking at the floor trying to process the days events.

About 3 hours pass by and Connor's still missing, Layla's still outside and nobody quite knows how to check for a fever. "Leo, you do it, you seem like the doctor type." Hannah said pointing towards Cameron who'd recently developed some cold sweats and a violent cough. "If only Chun Him were here, he was always destined to become doctor." Jacob said making a very unsubtle subtle nod to Chun Him's ethnicity. "Jacob, shut it, not the time." Hannah says giving Jacob a light kick in the shin to shut him up. "Alright, alright. Just tying to use comedy as my form of escapism." He grumbles and sits down at the adjacent table to the non doctors trying to do a doctors job. "Let's just do this." Sophie says putting her hand on Cameron's forehead. "Jesus Christ, he's on flipping fire!" Sophie exclaims after feeling Cameron's forehead. "So, fever?" Hannah asks sheepishly as if she doesn't actually wanna know the answer. 

Sophie looks up and gives a slow almost sad nod. "If I actually liked the guy I'd be a bit more distraught right now." Sophie says with a hint of upset in her voice which she was doing a good job at masking. Connor then walks back into McDonald's. "Where the fuck were you for the last three hours?!" Jacob says annoyed that he just vanished. "Thinking, about things." Connor says brushing him off and he sits down at a table and stares at his hands before speaking up. "Does he have a fever?" Connor asks looking up a small bit. "Aye, he does." Hannah says sadly looking at Cameron and his laboured breathing. Connor stands up and quickly holds a knife to his head out Jacob grabs his wrist and glares at him. "The fuck do you think you're doing!" He yells keeping his grip tight. "Putting him down, we shouldn't let him turn." Connor says coldly glaring back at Jacob. "And what if he's not sick? What if he won't turn?" Jacob asks giving Connor an angry look. "Trust me, he'll turn." Connor says trying to breaks Jacob's grip but to avail.

They stand there in their little standoff for a few more seconds before Connor lets out a sigh of annoyance and throws his knife on the ground and storms off. "There, that was for the best." Jacob said grimly watching Connor walk off into the store. "Your heart is in the right place but trust me." Sophie says solemnly. "He's gonna turn and you can't deny it forever." She says shaking her head. "When he turns we'll put him down." Sophie concluded looking down and sitting at a table staring out the window at the dead walking by. Leo watches Jacob sit down to comfort Sophie when Stanislas who had vanished until now walks into McDonald's with his hand twitching slightly. "What's up with you then, you've got the jitters." Leo comments as Stanislas speaks very quietly. "I saw a military truck roll through with more pursuing it." He says his voice growing in excitement as Leo's eyes widen and Hannah's ears prick up at the mention of the military.

"They had helicopters, planes and tanks of all sorts hall headed into the city, probably to wipe out the walkers and save any survivors!" Stanislas continues now really excited at the militaries arrival. "We're all gonna get saves!" He finishes with and this seems to put a smile on everyone's face. "Cameron can get treated, they must have a cure if they're rocking up this early." Hannah says joining in on the excitement as a twinkle appears in her eye. "He probably will!" Stanislas adds looking at the sorry state on the table in front of him. "He better." He says as his excitement is partially replaced by a grim tone. "Let's get some sleep and we'll focus on the military more tomorrow." Stanislas concluded as he walked over to a booth and lay down and went to sleep.

As the situation in McDonald's developed Lily approached Connor sitting down on a pallet of old Coca Cola bottles and she sits next to him. "Hey, you look sad, what's up?" She says softly giving him a friendly smile. Connor sighs and looks up unsure of whether or not to answer. "It's mildly complicated but I feel responsable for Daniel's death today, if only I'd done more, killed that extra walkers maybe he'd still be with us but no! I had to be slow." Connor said annoyed with himself at his inability to save Daniel. "Hey hey, don't beat yourself up over it. You did all you could and you did great as well." Lily said putting a comforting arm around Connor's shoulder. This catches Connor off guard by he slowly leans into Lily and soon enough is resting his head in her shoulder and sighs. "Thanks for this." He says quietly as he sits back up slightly and subtlety re holsters his sharpened bit of fence. "I left my knife in McDonald's which I kinda need to get back, you should go and find Freyja though, she's probably looking for you." Connor added as he started to walk off but turned back just before Lily left and gave her a quick hug. "Thank you." He said extremely quietly and this sudden hug surprised Lily but she liked it nonetheless.

As Connor arrived back at McDonald's he saw everyone sleeping and picked up his knife looking over at Cameron. "Ugh, what should I do about you?" He asked himself as he surveyed Cameron's body and checked for a pulse. "He ain't gonna make it through the night." Connor said sighing and looking back at the others and then at the knife in his hand. "I could just, but no, I won't I'll be respectful of Jacob's wishes to 'not harm the living' even if that living is on deaths door." Connor holsters his knife and settles down for a good nights sleep.