Chapter 9

Just then a soldier walked up to Connor and tapped him on the shoulder. "Oi, you've been called into the meeting room, someone wants to speak with you clearly." The guard said raising his gun at Connor's head. "Hurry up." He finished and pushed Connor along. He walked into the meeting room and the soldier slammed the door behind him and he tuned around to see the last person he expected to see in this world. Payton, was sitting in a chair in the middle of the room with her hands on a circle like table as she looked up and saw Connor immediately running up and hugging him. "How the hell'd you survive this week long mess!" Connor says delighted to see again. "Well, I've been with Blaze the entire time of course." Payton said happily as she seems to be the exact same as when it all stared. "That's awesome, she does seem like qui-." Connor gets cut off by Payton slapping him on the arm. "He/they dumbass! You should know this by now!" Payton said as an angry look crossed her face but before Connor could give a logical comeback Jacob storms into the room. 

"How the fuck did Blaze bloody Jackson cross over to my side!" Jacob yelled as Blaze walked up from behind him and Connor sighed and leaned against a wall. "It's like you people are bloody infestation, like Junes next month! Save your pride badges for the-." He stops cold when he sees me in the room as well. "Oh fucking hell!" Jacob exclaimed as he collapses into a chair in defeat. "I'm on the verge of giving up on you people." Jacob said burying his head in his hands. "Payton isn't the kind of person to survive and apocalypse, she's the kind of person to tell the walker to get her fucking pronouns right!" Jacob yells raising his voice and slamming his fist down on the table. "It's the end of the world, get a grip and accept that certain people like the soldiers here aren't gonna look at you and go 'yeah, sui/cide' and shake your fucking hand!" Jacob says raising his voice to a shout as Payton cowers behind Blaze and Blaze draws a knife on Jacob.

"How the hell did they let you keep a knife!" Jacob shouts glaring at Blaze as Connor tries to deescalate the situation. "Listen, Jacob this conflict seems a bit out of nowhere and can be saved for another time and Blaze, if you know what's good for you you'll put the knife down." Connor warned holding his hand out for the knife as Payton finally regains her speaking abilities. "He's just using self defence." Payton says with a huffy look on her face. "Stop acting like a child!!" Jacob yells at her as Blaze sticks the knife right up to his neck. "Don't you dare speak to my son like that!" Blaze warned holding the tip of knife right of his throat and Connor gets annoyed now looks at Payton them at Jacob and is forced to pick a side of some description.

After a second of back of forth with himself Connor charges at Blaze elbows her out of the way getting behind her and putting her into a choke hold. "Drop the knife, I warned you." Connor said coldly as Blaze tries to fight the hold and Connor seemingly starts to struggle to keep her held. "He's right, and for fucks sake stop playing imaginary family, you ain't in fucking P4 alright? Grow up!" Jacob adds throwing his hands into the air when Payton runs at him and full on bites the side of his hand sending Jacob to the floor at a loss for words as Blaze breaks the hold by stabbing Connor in the leg with the knife. "Y-you actually bit me!" Jacob yells. "That's fucking sick you psychotic twat!" He continues to yell or sorts of profanities when Connor staggers back to his feet and sneaks up behind Payton knocking her down by kicking out the back of her legs sending her down for a while as he grabs Blaze and actually starts to choke her his grip being more forceful due to the newfound adrenaline in his blood and just before Blaze dies Payton slaps Connor in the face causing him to drop a passed out Blaze to the floor.

Payton gives him the worlds hardest glare and drags Blaze outside to attend to her but before they shut the door Connor calls out. "And by the way. Her name ain't even Blaze, it's Tia." Payton then slams the door as Jacob and Connor are left alone to recover from the fight. Connor ends up leaving the knife in his thigh but covers it up with his trouser leg so he can remain armed and Jacob plasters his human bite wound. "Y'know, I didn't think it'd be the living that'd bite me." He said chuckling but Connor was bust staring at something in the window. He was staring at a dark figure of which he couldn't make out through the grimy windows but the figure disappears. "Well this puts a new light on your 'we don't kill the living' motto now don't it?" Connor says with light amusement noticeable in his tone. "Well, one day I might permit it." Jacob says softly like he's already given up on the living. "You already have." Connor muttered solemnly as he walked over to the door and turned back but just sighed and shut the door now being back on his side of the camp. 

As he sauntered around he walks by a small bush that was just big enough to fit a few people behind it when someone grabs him, muffling his mouth as Connor was dragged behind the bush but a pure surge of adrenaline makes him able to elbow the person in the side causing them to fall to the floor in pain as Connor gets beside them and punches them repeatedly before he's finally kicked off landing in the floor himself. "Ah fuck, you hit hard!" The voice exclaims as Connor sits up, not having looked at the person yet. "Yeah, well I was trying to kill you." Connor mutters moving his hand away from the knife in his thigh as he finally looks up to see a girl his age sitting there. "Who the fuck even are you?" Connor asked still trying to recover from their little scuffle. "The names Clementine, if you make a joke about my family being comprised of satsumas and other members of the orange family I will actually kill you." Clementine warned. "Shame, I always enjoyed a nice glass of orange during the evening." Connor said with a smirk as Clementine puts her hand up but sighs and lowers it. "I'll let that one slide." She muttered. 

After they sat there for another few seconds Connor finally remembers he was dragged into a bush. "Why'd you drag me here?" He asks with a raised eyebrow still being somewhat suspicious of Clementine. "I've seen you and your group, you seem functional so I was gonna ask if you need any extra hands?" Clementine says getting up to a crouching position. Connor thinks about this as Jacob doesn't take too kindly to people outside the main group as the last few tried to kick them out of Asda's. "Fine, come with me." Connor said a bit begrudgingly but snuck her over to where Jacob, Sophie and Hannah were all talking about one thing or another. "Alright then fellow peoples, this one here says she wants to provide us an extra pair of hands. What do y'all think?" Connor asks pointing to Clementine. "No, seriously answer me soon, the guards'll stab me and my possibly dead family if they see me over this side." Connor says growing impatient when Hannah speaks. "She seems alright, she can help me convince Leo to escape with us." Hannah said excitedly. 

After some back and forth everyone unanimously agreed that Clementine could stick around. "Now a new issue presents itself." Jacob says trying to address everyone. "Yeah, I'm not gonna get my 9 hours of sleep." Connor says interrupting him and patting Jacob on the shoulder. "You four can catch me up tomorrow, I'm going to bed." He finishes walking away and disappearing behind a few trees. "The problem is." Jacob continues. "That Leo wants to stay here with Layla and Stanislas and that just doesn't work, Leo doesn't belong with them." Jacob says lowering his voice like he's be heard. "I'll try convince him to come with us but he has his mind made up keep in mind." Sophie says looking over the walls towards the other side of the camp. "God only knows how far you'll actually get." She adds putting a hand on Jacob's shoulder. "But you'll pull it off I'm sure." Clementine senses they're about to start kissing and she butts in. "Well, I'll help you out with that if you want." She says trying to derail Jacob and Sophie's kiss but fails as they kiss then respond to her. "Sure you can tag along." Jacob says. "Makes zero odds to me." He adds lying down on his bed and closing his eyes. "Now the rest of ya, fuck off, I want to get my '9 hours in'." Mocking Connor as everyone laughs and goes off to bed.