Chapter 24

That night they ran for a good 15 minutes before Jacob told them to take shelter in an old house that was still rather liveable looking. Once inside the house everybody just switched off like a light and all fell asleep but not Jacob, no he had too much on his mind at the time so was up all night trying to work through the trauma of killing his first person which he got over quite quickly in fairness but he'd always remember it. The night was cold for one in the summer time and it was the most uneasy night The Wall had since their first night in Asda way back when it all started. Morning eventually did come though and Freyja was the first awake and came up to Jacob with a concerned look on her face. "I told Lily Connor died." She said as Jacob's eyes widened. "You what?!" He exclaimed as Freyja seemed nearly guilty for it. "Clementine told me to speak to her about how Connor's gonna be alright but I just can't bear to see her with him always on her mind." She said as Jacob had a mix of annoyance and curiosity on his face. "I hate the idea of Connor being with anyone as that's not he rolls, not saying I'm happy Payton's missing but I'm not broken up over it either." Jacob said as Freyja continued. "I think I've completely shut her down. She won't speak to anyone and we can barely get her to look at me." She said worried. Jacob became slightly more annoyed. "Maybe don't tell her that her friend is dead then!" Jacob exclaimed as Freyja grimaced. "Hence the issue. I don't wanna lose her to Connor as Connor doesn't even look good but seeing her like this breaks my heart." Freyja said as Jacob sighed. "Stupid move you made I'll be honest. You're gonna have to come clean if you wanna see her function normally again." Jacob said as Freyja didn't seem to jump at this idea. "Yeah, no. If my only option is telling her the truth I'll swallow my guilt." She said as Jacob shook his head. "This is low. You can't keep the lie going forever and lemme tell you now. When she finds out she's gonna lose it." Jacob said as Freyja brushed him off and went away.

Jacob went out to scout the streets to see if he could find a viable way to his destination so this left just the 4 inside. Leo was up last and was reading a manga he found while Sophie searched the house and Freyja kept trying to get through to Lily to no success. Everyone did their activities for around an hour when Jacob came back into the house covered in blood again. "Giant zombie horde the way we need to go." Jacob said as Sophie groaned. "How long are we stuck here for." She said as Jacob shook his head. "We're leaving now and we'll go around the horde but bring weapons as there's gonna be stragglers." He said as Leo put his book done. "Why'd we start calling them walkers? It seemed to catch on almost immediately." He asked as Sophie shrugged. "I think we just came to the conclusion that 'hey these things walk but aren't human so we'll just call them 'walkers'." Sophie explained. "Also I think you got attacked by one, Jacob killed it and someone muttered 'fucking walker' and the name kind of stuck." Sophie added as Leo returned to his book (or manga but whatever).

Jacob did a head count and headed outside into the streets where the horde could be heard from where they were. "That sounds like a death sentence." Leo commented as Sophie agreed. Jacob shrugged. "Get around quickly and we'll be fine. Stay on guard thought, I want no people getting lost." He instructed as everyone nodded as they walked up the streets but ran into a slight hiccup. One side of the road was covered by trees and a river and the other side was just houses that were totally unsecured. Jacob very clearly saw two options. "Alright guys. Who wants to get wet with me?" Jacob asked as everyone looked at him confused. "Oh right. Jump in the river!" Jacob shouted as everyone begrudgingly hopped the railing separating the road and the forest and everyone soon enough ended up in the river. Leo splashed his face as he hadn't felt this clean in so long. "That feels bloody good!" Leo exclaimed as washed himself off a little more as everyone else forgot about the world and enjoyed the cold water. But nothing lasts forever and the walkers tumbling down the slope that led to the river brought The Wall back to reality. Jacob started wading as fast as he could downstream following the current and had quite a good pace going when Sophie finally asked where the hell they were going. "Where it all began." Jacob replied. "Home." He added as nobody understood his cryptic clues. Sophie sighed. "Awesome, we'll find out then." She said as Jacob giggled. "I even have a plan for fortifications." He added as everyone got a buzz of excitement at this prospect.

During the entire trip down stream in the river the topic of conversation what all about what Jacob was planning to fortify and how big it would be and if he's be willing to take others in and possible living threats that surrounded the area and how many walkers they'd have to deal with. Sophie thought they were going to a large shopping centre which tons of open room and supplies but Leo thought they were gonna try and secure a whole a whole street and make a community. Freyja even piped up with her own suggestion and she thought were gonna end up in a large field where they could build walls and grow crops and live a peaceful life. Jacob chuckled at all these theories but he said they were all false and nobody would believe what he had in mind for The Wall. This only got people more excited and even Jacob became more relaxed after his little murder back at Asda.

Their fun little river adventure had to stop as some idiot had crashed a bus into the river so they were forced to take the street route instead. Jacob had an interesting thought while walking. "Did anyone actually ever think about what they'd do if they got caught in a zombie apocalypse one day." He asked as Leo thought. "I always imagined I'd be last to know and if be caught off guard and killed." Leo said and everyone had a good laugh at that. Jacob smiled as he gave his suggestion. "I never gave it thought but I'd imagine I'd be making a Blooket set in school when we'd be warned of the dangers outside but I'd still force Connor to get the new questions before the WiFi stopped working." Jacob said as Leo laughed non stop at that for like a minute. To everyone's surprise Lily spoke up with a contribution. "I once told Freyja that I'd give up if something like this were to ever happen. Look at me now." She said as Freyja hugged her. "I'm glad you didn't give up." She said as Sophie gave her own suggestion. "I figure I'd be out with my family and have to juggle both family and apocalypse at the same time." She said as everyone agreed that seemed like a rather dire situation.

Everyone went kinda quiet at the menton of parents as everyone kind of collectively knew their parents were most likely dead or walking the streets somewhere as an undead. Jacob shook this feeling off though and kept spirits high for another good portion of the walk until they came across another issue. Another huge horde was blocking their path and this time there was a field to their left that was surrounded by walkers and walkers were coming from the streets to their right. Everyone drew their weapons and Jacob even managed to get a hold of the M-16 Connor used back at the QZ. It was gonna be a long fight.