Chapter 19

After a long time of being dragged through dirt roads the three woke up in a tent together covered in mud and there were all caked in dirt. "Couldn't have just walked us there." Payton said as she dusted herself off. "Well if we see eye to eye on one thing it's that." Lily said getting up and doing the same while Connor had actually fallen asleep while playing asleep, what a lazy child. Lily had to go over and shake Connor awake but once she did Connor quickly became aware of the situation. "I think there's a guy in here who may or may not want me dead." Connor said nervously as he looked around the tent. "This is unfortunate if I must say so myself." Connor commented as Payton stared at him. "Well no. We're gonna be let go and set on our way with supplies. Of course it's unfortunate!" She said rather annoyed at being captured by people not too much older than her. As everyone came to term with what was going on somebody came into the tent and told them to boost which they were forced to comply with. They were escorted through the small campsite which held about 10-15 people but they got taken to a tent a lot bigger than the others.

Everybody got shoved into the tent and a man in a chair twice his size turned around menacingly. "Missed me?" The man asked as he showed his dirty military badge to the group. Connor rolled his eyes but was curious as to what the soldier's story was. "Alright then you chicken shit, what's the story? How'd the fight against the horde go?" Connor asked as the soldier grew angry. "Clearly by my absence in the QZ we got overrun and it didn't end well!" He yelled as Connor smirked. "Okay I get it you couldn't handle 400 walkers that's understandable actually but did you abandon it like we did?" Connor asked as the soldier rubbed his forehead. "No I stayed and fought and if I recall you should've as well. We drafted you into our ranks which went against our code to begin with and we expected you to fight for us." He explained as Connor nodded his head. "Yeah well I kinda figured the QZ was a lost cause when you said 400 so maybe you guys should've figured the same thing." Connor said with a tone of obviousness to his voice that seemed to anger the solider further. "You listen here! Many lives were lost that day but maybe if you and your group had stayed then just maybe the extra man power would've seen us through!" He yelled as Connor just kept smirking and examines his hand. "Well somehow I'm doubting that but depends, how many were you able to kill before things went sour." Connor asked intrigued as to if running away assuming the QZ was a lost cause was a good idea.

The soldier seemed to choose his words very carefully before he spoke. "Well, I guess it was kind of a death sentence but the help still would've been nice." He reiterated as Connor just sighed. "Okay whatever but listen. What do you want with us? Why'd you kidnap us if you only have a problem with me?" Connor asked as the solider stood up and pushed a pen in Connor's forehead. "Well, you see what you did could be deemed illegal plus you stole a damn helicopter and just because I don't like you." He paused before drawing a gun. "I'm gonna kill you." He said as Connor raised an eyebrow. "Ah you see. I'd be scared but uh." Connor started to giggle as everyone looked at him like he was crazy. "You've left the safety on." Connor said as nodded to the gun. "You idiot." Connor added as Payton and Lily were laughing now as well. 

The soldier got extremely flustered and told the other kids to get them out of his sight and they were escorted back outside and into a vacant tent where they were zipped up and had two kids posted outside guarding them. Payton immediately began to scribble something down on a bit of paper and Lily just tried to take everything in. Connor on the other hand was admiring a photo on the floor, it was a photo of the solider and his wife and son. Lily came over and sat next to Connor. "I think Payton finally got the message of how cruel this world can be." Lily said softly as she looked off into the distance. "Why did you point out the safety?" Lily asked as Connor took the picture. "Because, I was hardly gonna let him make a fool of himself, plus I had a great teacher." Connor said nudging Lily on the shoulder as she quickly looked away. "Anyway." Lily said quickly sounding flustered. "He's still out to kill you y'know." Lily said as Connor thought. "I know him. He's Jones, the one who gave a half hour monologue to me during a training session about how cool he was." Connor said joking shuddering at the memory. "You're lucky you weren't there." Connor added as Lily laughed. "I don't envy you but what's the plan?" She asked again as Payton hit Connor over the head with a notepad. "Hey deaf ears! I have a plan." Payton called as Connor and Lily stood up, Connor rubbing the back of his head.