Chapter 8

As the days droned on all the talk was about the recent military sighting but by the time people were giving each other high fives for surviving 10 days the hope of the military was beginning to slip form some peoples minds. On the dawn of the 11th day of the apocalypse Connor woke up to Freyja giving him a cold glare as Jacob called him over to the other side of McDonald's. "Alright listen, there's a military convoy sweeping the streets outside and I'm unsure as to tell the group or not." Jacob says rubbing his temples. "Well, yeah tell them, Stanislas first saw them on like day 3 so this should re-spark hope in people." Connor said giving Jacob a thumbs up and walking back to the group but before he did he turned back. "I'll tell 'em if you want." Connor said with a shrug but Jacob shook his head. 

Jacob gathered everyone around one table and adresses everyone at once. "Alright you seven, I know we've suffered two casualties over the last 11 days but just this morning I saw a military convoy outside the in the parking lot and there were breathing people inside! Living breathing people!" The room went up into ripples of applause as cheering was heard all through Asda that day. "I haven't heard a cheer this big in here since prime was first stocked." Chuckled Leo at the remark. "Goddamn." He finishes and leaned back in his chair. "They better have a cure that's all I'm saying." Stanislas added as he looked over to the undead Cameron that got chained to a wall using old zip ties. "I still don't like how we're keeping a walker strung up like that." Connor commented looking at the sorry state of the walker. "That one isn't a walker that's our friend." Stanislas said in a correcting tone. "Alright sorry." Connor replied in a sarcastic voice. "I'll keep my mouth closed next time." He said putting his hands in the air in a jokey manner. "Oh ha ha." Mocked Stanislas before he turned his attention behind Jacob.

Behind Jacob stood 4 military soldiers holding heavy assault weaponry with a thousand different weapon types on their bullet proof vests. "You weren't lying! The military are here!" Stanislas cheered as the military officers stood there absolutely baffled at the sight of a group of kids. One of the soldiers makes a call on his radio and turns back to our group as another soldier holds them at gun point while the other walks up to Hannah first and smacked her with the butt of his gun and knocks her out cold. "Hey what the hell was that!" Stanislas shouted at the soldier but he was ignored and knocked out next as the soldier made the rounds of the group knocking each member of the group out cold. Jacob being the last one conscious watches as one soldier shoots the walker Cameron they tied to the wall and then he's knocked out as well.

The nine of them all wake up in a tent that seemed to have been thrown up in a few days as a soldier checks everyone's blood for signs of infection but it all appears clear. "What the?" Connor asks as they get escorted out into the main area which was set up in the inner city. "They've set up their own safe house!" Connor exclaimed as he saw all the people and military tents set up about the place. "This is how fast the military should respond to these things." Said Jacob agreeing as they get stopped at a check point and are all separated into three different tents and Connor is sent off to his tent alone. While the group is split into three and five for the other tents.

Connor walks into his tent and walks up to a guard. "Why was I sent to a tent alone? What's the deal?" The guard gives Connor a dead stare and replies. "You had the most blood on your shirt so we put you with the rest of the more deadly looking people." The soldier then points his gun at Connor's head. "Now fuck off." He added as Connor slinked off to explore the area as it was its own little area with a meeting room, a bathroom, a dining room and finally the tents/sleeping quarters. Connor walks over to a sign and reads it aloud. "'The NHS Disaster Response Unit' I didn't know that was a thing." Connor turned around and saw a familiar face staring at him from across the area. "Who the?" Connor asks as the figure slinks off back into the shadows. "I'm going nuts I swear." Connor says shaking his head and walking away.

In the area Jacob, Sophie and Hannah were shunted off to, they had a good look around the area and learned that the meeting room was to be used to meet with people from other areas of the military safe camp. "For how long was NHS D.R.U a thing?" Jacob asked as the three of them sat on their small camp beds. "Fuck if I know, they probably made it up as an NHS/military effort to contain the walker issue." Hannah replied with a shrug of her shoulders and she looked off into the distance. "I find these people dodgy, not to mention they point their guns around like their BB guns to a rat." She adds watching the soldiers go about their duties. "They probably have orders to threaten any one who seems to act suspicious or just as a safety thing, I don't really know." Sophie chimed in with her own idea. "Yeah this is all a bit bizarre." Jacob agrees as a few people start coughing from the other side of the tent. "Ah shit, I think we have a case of infection." Hannah said with a sad shake of her head. "Hidden bite." Sophie concluded staring at the couple as soldiers ran over to them and checked them up and down finding bites on one's lower leg and the other with a bit on his arm pit. "What are they gonna do?" Sophie asked curiously. As the soldiers drew their weapons putting a bullet through the heads of the couple much to the shock of Jacob, Sophie and Hannah.

"Oh Christ. I mean like yeah that's the logical thing to do but to not even let them say goodbye to any family?" Sophie says distraught. "That is a bit barbaric." Jacob agreed nodding his head. "This place is a safe haven but this is kinda gonna encourage people trying to escape no?" Sophie asked as the bodies were dragged away, most likely to be incinerated. "I've heard stories that some have and this place has been up and running for two days." Hannah says doing her best to resist the urge to escape herself. "I don't really like it here." She added twiddling her thumbs. On the third side of things Layla, Stanislas, Lily, Freyja and Leo are being giving a meeting time in the empty meeting room and Leo was allowed to go first. He walked into the room that looked more like a prison cell with its bare walls, grey floor and heavy metal doors either side. 

Leo requested to speak with Hannah and soon enough Hannah was brought into the room and she ran over to Leo and whispered something to him. "I know the guards are still watching us but I'm gonna start planning an escape." She whispered and Leo stepped back slightly puzzled. "But why? This place is great. There's guards with military training, decent walls and plenty of food to go around." He said giving Hannah a damn curious stare. "What's up? Why the urgency?" Leo said trying to pressure an answer out of Hannah. "The soldiers put a bullet into an elderly couple who'd been bitten, didn't let them say goodbye or anything." Hannah said sadly hanging her head a little. "I very seriously doubt the soldiers would do that!" Leo exclaims with a chuckle. "Maybe you got a bad batch because the ones on my side are partially more friendly." Leo says trying to defend the hardy guard and soldiers. 

Hannah being a bit displeased with Leo's response gives him a sour look and leaves the room returning to her part of camp. Leo gets dragged out a few seconds later and Lily walks up to him to ask what happened. "Are they okay? What happened in there?" Lily asked concerned for everyone's safety. "Hannah wants to leave because the soldiers are doing evil things which can't be true." Leo then points to a guard talking with a survivor. "See? It's the friendliest I've damn seen them." Leo then pulls a small paper bag and shows Lily the contents. "See? Beef jerky, they gave us flipping snacks and all." Leo puts the bag away and points over to Stanislas and Layla conversing a few feet away from Leo and Lily. "They wanna stay to, they think this place is a godsend and aren't gonna leave like ever." Leo explains putting extra emphasis on how they're never gonna leave. "Well, you can certainly speak for this side of the camp but as for the others I wouldn't be so sure about that because I did hear the gunshots I don't know how you didn't." Lily says raising her eyebrow at Leo. "You must be tone deaf or something." Lily concluded walking away. 

As things developed on other sides of the wall, Connor wasn't doing much in terms of planning an escape or talking to the rest of The Wall he was just hanging around when he spots a soldier put a sign up. "Well well well, what've we got here." He said to himself wandering over to the sign. "'Edinburgh quarantine zone, curfew hours are between 6pm to 6am everyday for the foreseeable future.' The NHS D.R.U is really cracking down on things, that's good I guess but maybe there's some crazy people here who preferred it out there." He goes silent for a moment before laughing at himself. "Not a chance!" He said giggling. "Nobodies that damn stupid!"