Chapter 18

Everything was going absolutely fantastic for The Wall and company and they even came close to normal life as they'd established classrooms for younger kids and the older kids would do work around the school. The fields in the school were turned into farm land, one of the adults brought back a functioning car, some snare traps were set up around the woodlands around the school for any unfortunate rabbits that passed by and to top it all off they'd cleared the surrounding area free of walkers so they could come and go from the school to the woods and even to the tenements just beyond the field beyond the school. They'd been living the lavish lifestyle for an exactly 2 months 12 days and 13 hours. Connor had been doing the rounds of the wall with Lily when something in the woods beyond the forest caught his eye.

"Hey Lily, over there I just saw something move." Connor pointed out as Lily tried to follow his gaze but the figure had vanished. Lily chuckled and stared at the tree line. "Better hope they don't get caught in your pointless snare traps." Lily said chuckling. "You ain't gonna catch any game in those woods you know that right? The best thing you'll catch is maybe a rabbit and the occasional walker." She added smirking as Connor gave her a 'really' stare. "Come on, my traps deserve more credit than that. They took me a full month to learn and another half month to actually set up." Connor said as he showed he was very much on team trap. "Yeah yeah, you keep telling yourself that." Lily said laughing as they continued their rounds of the walls. They'd been walking for about another 5 minutes laughing with each other when Jacob came running up to them waving some paper in his hand. Connor tilted his head slightly confused as Jacob caught his breath. "Some twats threw this over the wall." Jacob said panting as he held up the note and Lily read it aloud. "'We've seen your lavish little setup you guys got going on. We're coming for it and we're gonna take it. There's no deals made here. You're gonna surrender that little school to us whether you like it or not.' Damn, ballsy." Lily commented folding the note up. "Empty threats." She concluded as she gave the note back.

"Empty threats?! Empty threats?!!" Jacob exclaimed as he threw his hands in the air in disbelief. "This is a threat and you say it's an empty one! We're clearly under threat of someone or some gang or something." Jacob says unable to comprehend the situation. Connor scans the field beyond the fence and doesn't see anything all the suspicious. "Where'd you find the note?" Connor asks turning to Jacob with a semi serious expression on his face. Jacob thinks for a second but does eventually answer. "I was doing my own patrol of the wall when I saw a figure moving about just out of sight and as I turned my attention away I shit you not they threw it over in a glass bottle with the cork and all." Jacob said as he pulled a bottle from his bag. "See? Message in a bottle." Jacob said waving the bottle around as Connor grew more concerned. "We've see a figure in the woods as well. Alright here's what I'm gonna do." Connor says sighing and looking back at the woods. "I'm gonna go off into those woods and with a little luck I'll track down this person and do something to tell them not to mess with us." Connor explains as Lily sticks her hand up. "I'll come with you." She said quickly as Connor shrugged. "Aye sure, I see no issue with it." He said as Lily seemed to relax as if she was stressed before. "When're you gonna go out?" Lily asked as Connor thought. "Y'know what. Is still early I'm gonna go now. Well, it's actually early afternoon but still got plenty of daylight left." Connor said as he walked back up the field as Lily tightened her bag straps. 

As Jacob and Lily walked back up the field, Jacob tuned to Lily. "Over the course of the last couple months have you noticed Freyja constantly giving Connor dirty looks like he wronged her in some way?" Jacked asked as Lily went all flustered. "Uh well... you see I uh.. h-haven't actually n-noticed that no." Lily said visibly stressed. Jacob picked up on this as he does with everything and raised an eyebrow. "Oh aye? Well then if that's the case I'll just let it go but if it were up to me. I'd say you don't wanna believe it because you like Connor." Jacob commended enjoying this immensely. "You don't wanna think about having to fight with Freyja over this matter so you're trying to not believe it." Jacob said and Lily kept flinching as he hit bullseye pretty much every time. "But who am I to decide. You can fight that out between Freyja and I'm sure if it involves Connor, Payton'll get involved as well." Jacob said doing a mock evil laugh as he walked off leaving Lily blushing and unsure of how to respond to anything Jacob said. As Lily and Jacob made it back inside Connor was scribbling something in a notebook and Jacob started laughing. "You dumb idiot. That's the back of Leo's nerd journal." Jacob said laughing to himself as Connor rolled his eyes chuckling. "Yeah I know but he won't miss one page. Plus he has another one as well, I've seen him grab it from Tesco's when we did our supply run down there." Connor said as he tore the page out. "Alright gang, here's our battle plan. Wait Jacob you can leave this only involves me and Lily." Connor said as Jacob nodded still chuckling about something.