28 | 𝕤𝕥𝕚𝕔𝕜𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕟𝕖𝕤 𝕓𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕜 𝕞𝕪 𝕓𝕠𝕟𝕖𝕤, 𝕓𝕦𝕥 𝕨𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕖 𝕚 𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕓𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕜𝕤 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕥

TW: MENTIONS OF LOSING SOMEONE

"they say she's gonna be fine but she has bruises and tubes an IV's all over her. her stitches are really swollen too. i don't know if she is actually okay." i said looking down. matt and nick stay silent. i finish my food and put the tray away. "im heading back to the room." i say. "let us know how she is later. we love you." nick says. "love you guys too. bye." i say softly smiling. "bye." nick says smiling back and matt kisses the screen before hanging up. i take the elevator back up to the fourth floor and walk to the room. i quietly open the door and see the lights are on. i walk around the wall and see the bed tilted in an upright position. dixie is awake and softly speaking to her mom. mrs. becca looks up and sees me as i enter. "honey, someone's here to see you." mrs. becca says to dixie pointing in my direction. dixie slowly turns her head to me and her eyes widen. "hi dixie!" i say gently hugging her. "i know you." she says shaking her finger at me and narrowing her eyes. she acts sort of drunk..or high..or something, but its most likely just the medicine she's on. "im eliana." i say giggling. "oh! guess what, my friend has the same name." she says with a barely visible smile. i roll my eyes with a smile. "how are you?" i ask her grabbing her hand in mine. "im good. i don't know about dixie though." she says her eyes half closed. i raise my eyebrow and look at her parents, they shrug. "uhh you are dixie." i say pointing my finger at her. "HAHAH! your funny. i like you." she says patting my hand that is holding her other one.

i smile at her and remember i brought something. "oh! guess what?" i say excitedly to her. "what?" she says with a slightly noticeable smile. "i brought you presents!" i say turning to to a chair that has the bag on it. i take out one stuffed penguin, the one with the blue tie and leave it on the chair since that ne is mine. "here." i say handing the bag to her. she opens it and pulls out the other penguin. "mama! look! its one of them duck things!" she says gasping to her mom. "its a penguin! and i have one too!" i say grabbing the other penguin and showing to her. "aww! there like siblings!" she says holding her penguin next to mine. "there's more in the bag." i say smiling. she reaches in the bag and pulls out a hershey bar. "candy!" she says smiling softly. she flips the bag over and dumps it on the bed. one of the hershey bars falls on the floor and she instantly opens the hershey bar that she has and takes the biggest bite out of it. "ohhhoho. okayyy, baby. that's enough." mrs. becca says grabbing the hershey bar and collecting the candy into the bag. "don't wanna raise your blood pressure." she said. 

"pffff, what are you? my mom?" dixie says giggling. "yup." mrs. becca said proudly with a smile. "oh...i thought you were grandma." dixie said slightly tilting her head. my jaw dropped and i looked at mrs. becca and she looked at me. "do i look that old?" she mouthed to me. i shook my head and we both turned our focus back on dixie. "well, me and your father are going to go look at your records for the week. you stay here with eliana." mrs. becca says to dixie. "okay." dixie said and david and mrs. becca left the room. "can you hand me my water?" dixie says pointing to water bottle on the table next to her. "yeah." i grab the water bottle and hand it to her. she takes a sip and then holds it out for me. i place it back on the table and sit down on the edge of the bed. its silent for a moment. "does it hurt?" i ask. "what?" she responds. i point to my head indicating i was talking about the wound on her head. "oh, that. no, not really. i mean i wouldn't know, i can't feel a thing." dixie says smiling. i smile and look down at my hands as the smile fades. "you okay?" dixie asks me once she realizes that i look sad. "uh, yeah. just worried for you. that's all." i say. "im gonna be okay." dixie said softly smiling. just then, mrs. becca and david came back into the room. "didi? the doctor says that you need to rest. you have a long week ahead of you. me and eliana need to go, okay?" mrs. becca says hugging dixie. 

"oh shit!" david says looking at his watch. "im an hour late for work! i have to go honey." david says before kissing mrs. becca and dixie on the cheek before running out the door, he works the night shift of security at an office. "david! you can't leave now! someone has to stay with dixie!" mrs. becca yells after him. "lord have mercy." she says pinching the bridge of her nose. "ellie, baby, im so sorry about this. someone has to stay here with dixie and david just left and someone needs to take care of mazie, you have to do that for me, okay?" mrs. becca says, her hands on my shoulders. "uhh, yeah, yeah, i can do it." i say nodding my head. "alright, um, i'll call you an uber." she says as she pulls out her phone and gets me a way home. "the car will be here in about 15 minutes. oh, and here take this." she adds as she hands me a safety keychain and i take it from her. "head down by the entrance and wait for the uber okay? i love you and stay safe, use that if you need to." she says pointing to the keychain. i nod my head and hug her, and then i hug dixie and exit the room. i take the elevator down to the first floor and stand outside the hospital in the crisp breeze of a summer night watching as people who are hurt, sick, and pregnant enter through the doors. 

watching ambulances come and go, trying to make it there before its too late.

 tears forming in my eyes as they observe crying men, women, and children shed tears and mourn for the loved ones they just lost. 

the twisting and unbearable feeling of knowing i am standing on the grounds where spirits made their way home in the sky as the line of the heart becomes still as stone. 

where mothers have lost a child not a day old.

when the state of sadness and anger wins the ongoing battle against a persons sanity.

white blankets shielding the lifeless.

when they don't wake up.

when a bright light becomes one that you gaze upon when the lord of praise in the clouds and the devil's sin in the fiery earth's core, choose your future eternity.

the sight of flashing lights, tears, rushing nurses, curtains closing, the desperateness of trying to save someone already gone....

...shatters my heart infinitely...

...