'Yeah Jessie, I'm sure Rachel would understand' - Chapter Thirteen

When I got to Maths I was surprised to find everyone queuing outside the classroom. I walked slowly over to Danny. "Hey, why are you all queuing like this?"

"Erm, Jess, we queue every lesson."

"I swear we don't, how come I've never queued before?"

"Jess, I think that's because this is the first time you've ever arrived on time to Maths."

"No, I must have been on time before." I tried to think of other lessons where I hadn't been late but none came to mind. "Shut up, you make it sound like I'm a terrible student."

"When it comes to Maths you kind of are."

"Shut up," I repeated, laughing.

"Okay guys," Mr Wilding seemed to appear from nowhere. "You can go in now."

"Wow, this is formal, isn't it sir!" I exclaimed excitedly.

"Jessica, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Just my favourite lesson of the week!" I winked at him as I walked into the classroom. I could hear Danny laughing behind me as he joined me through the doorway.

I sat down at my desk next to him as I got out all my books. Danny did the same but after placing down his maths book, he got out a sheet that I hadn't seen before.

"Danny?" I asked quietly. "What the hell is that?"

"What the hell is what?"

"That sheet you've got?"

"Jess, are you serious right now?" Danny looked almost angry at me.

"Nope." I giggled.

"Jess, we've had this homework for weeks - It's the end of the term homework, how have you not done it?"

"Are you sure I was there that lesson? I have no recollection of any sheet or homework or anything." I scrambled around my Maths book frantically, looking for this sheet.

"Jess. We go to boarding school - you're there every lesson."

Suddenly Mr Wilding looked up from his desk, "Jessica, Daniel are you alright?"

"Yeah fine sir, just getting my books out." I frantically tried to find the sheet as Mr Wilding started to walk over.

"Daniel and Jessica, please can I have your homework sheet?" He was here already, time for some top class lying.

Danny gave his sheet in - it was my time to shine. "Sorry sir, I would hand it in but I accidently left it at home." Nailed it.

"Jessica, you haven't been home in six weeks, am I going to have to give you a detention?" Damn. I could hear Danny laughing at me in the background of my frenzied thoughts.

"No, no detention please. What I meant to say was that I left it in my dorm room." Phew, that was close - good thing I'm quick on my feet!

"Great, please can you go now and get it for me?" Damn, didn't think this through.

"Erm," I racked my brain to try and think of another excuse before I ran out of time, "I would, but Rachel's got a free right now and I wouldn't want to disturb her - she's probably doing revision or something like that."

"Oh that's fine, just tell her Mr Wilding sent you and I'm sure she'll understand." Mr Wilding said annoyingly.

"Yeah Jessie, I'm sure Rachel would understand." I could kill Danny right about now - he found the whole ordeal hilarious.