'He's my boyfriend, not yours' - Chapter Thirty

Jess's POV

The weeks leading up to the Winter Fair were some of the best of my life. Danny and I were in an amazing place, the best we ever could have imagined, and were spending time together almost every day. Going to a boarding school made it kind of hard to go on proper dates as we were cooped up constantly inside the old building. But we made it work. Most days one of us would go over to the other's room, with Jack and Rachel usually in whichever room was left empty. Whilst there we would chat, fill each other in on our days, just generally enjoy each other's company.

We had also made a pact to have meals together as often as possible. This was proving a little hard due to our differing schedules but we made it work.

As well as hanging out with Danny I was also making sure to keep rehearsing for the Winter Fair. My Dad had told me that he wouldn't be able to come but I asked Amy and she said that she would come. I even invited Zac to come along too and I'm so excited to see them both. I mean, I've never actually met Zac but I'm really glad that Amy's going to be here with him because I figured it would be a great time to tell her about me and Danny.

And yes, I know full well that I should have told her already – I should've told her as soon as I started developing feelings for him quite honestly – but it was hard. I'd spoken it over with Danny and we decided that it should be a face-to-face conversation. If I had just told her over text, or even skype, then she wouldn't have been able to see me and Danny together. She wouldn't have been able to gauge how much we truly did care about each other and how much we were meant to be together.

We still weren't going to tell her about what happened last year because I think we've all agreed that that was a mistake and never should have happened, let alone be bought up again. The last thing any of us need is for our pasts to be drudged up and spoken about again. It was decided that as soon as she got here on the Friday night, we would all have dinner in the canteen – me, her, Zac, Danny, Rachel and Jack. And then Danny and I would tell her straight after. That way, she will have had a chance to see the two of us interacting together before we heap the load upon her. Also, with Zac there she won't really be able to get too pissed off because she won't want him to think that she's not over Danny. With that all sorted on the Friday night, it would give us plenty of time to have fun at the Winter Fair the next day before Zac and Amy have to go home.

And it would be really nice to have Amy supporting me at the fair. This was going to be the first time I've properly sung in front of this many people and I kind of wanted to throw up every time I thought about it. I was excited though too, not least because after the fair there would be absolutely no need for me to Felicity as long as we both should live.

It had been so nice these past few weeks, only having to see her over a little icon of her face on our group chat. I'd been so busy with Danny, as well as rehearsing Rachel and my duologue for our A-level, that I guess I spent too much time running about from one place to the next to bump into her in the corridor.

One person with whom my relationship with had been declining was Matthew. I'd seen him a couple of times this term for our meetings but they hadn't gone too well. The first had been fine, with general chit chat about God and the Bible dominating discussions, with the remainder of time spent on general wellbeing questions. The second, however, had not gone quite so swimmingly.

It was a few days after my successful audition for the Winter Fair, and I had been keen to see Matthew as I was sure he would congratulate me. I know it sounds big-headed or whatever, but he was a genuinely lovely person, and the thought of his compliments meant the world. The actual greeting I received, was a far reach from the laudatory one I'd been expecting, however.