'You should go into speech-making or something' - Chapter Six

Today's the day! Although I may already know a few people from my lessons yesterday, I can really expand my friendship bracket.

I wake up early - excited at what this day will hold. Today we're allowed to wear our own clothes which is great for me; my clothes really help establish a good first impression.

I wear a long pleated mustard skirt; It's made up of three thin layers so when I walk it swishes from side to side. I'm also wearing a white crop top and some grey wedges. Just to finish off the look and portray my personality to any potential new friends, I accessorise with a black bowler hat and a yellow necklace with the word 'smile' written on it. I think I'm ready.

"Nervous?" Rachel looks stunning as usual. She's wearing a red skirt which matches her hair and a leather jacket which looks very expensive.

"Course not!" I answer truthfully, "I'm excited."

"You should be, you'll get to meet everyone! And maybe have a chance to talk to Danny?" She got so excited at that last part I wondered if she'd wet herself.

"Rach, you need to let this Danny thing go, he went out with my best friend remember!" The seriousness in my tone scared me so I followed it up with a cheeky giggle. C'mon Jess, you don't want to lose your only friend hear by bringing her down.

"Yeah, I remember but he's super hot and every other girl in the school seems to like him!" I had to nod at this part, he'd certainly caused a stir among the girls in the dorm and a lot of girls seemed jealous that I knew him.

"Well, even if he hadn't completely broken Amy's heart, he's not my type!"

"Who is your type then Jess? If it's not hot bad boys what is it?" I shrugged. "Smoking head boys?"

"Rachel!" I yelled. "Can we stop with the matchmaking please! Or at least focus on hooking you up with a certain geographer!" Turning on Rachel seemed the best way to deflect the attention. "Am I going to get to meet him today?"

"I don't know, are you going to talk to Danny?" So this was how she wanted to play it.

"Really Rach?" I pondered for a minute, how much did I want to meet her mystery boy? "Fine, I'll talk to Danny if you introduce me to Mr.Geography."

"I'm going to want to meet Danny too by the way!"

"Fine," I grumbled; this was so on.

***

For the beginning of the off timetable day we had a talk type thing. I guess it was a nice start to the day. Since Mrs Clarke had already given her speech, to the majority of the sixth form anyway, today they handed over to the students; one of which I knew fairly well.

"And now," Mrs Clarke's voice boomed throughout the hall as she spoke into the microphone. "I welcome our head boy to the stage to welcome all you year twelves into St Peter's sixth form. Matthew!" She steps down now from the block she was sitting on as Matthew walks on to the stage.

"Thanks Mrs Clarke," OMG he's so cute and polite! No wonder everyone loves him so much! "Welcome everyone! Whether you're here for your second year at sixth form ready to welcome the new recruits, or you're new to year twelve and excited for what is to come, it's clear we all have a great year coming up. But today, it's the time for the newbies, as the year thirteens pass the torch to the new generation of sixth form. I can't be the only older pupil in this hall who is very jealous of the young'uns who have a whole two years left at this incredible place. I pray that you treasure the amazing people you will meet, lessons you will learn and opportunities that you will experience as much as I have." He paused here to look around at the crowd. Every person in the room is gripped on his every word. Some of the girls seem near to fainting as he glances over them during his tour of the room. He smirks before carrying on. "I've been at this incredible school for six ridiculously awesome years. Just the thought of leaving at the end of the year terrifies me! I hope that you all make the most of every opportunity presented to you as you progress in the year. Thank you."