'They're Catholic, not Shakespeare!' - Chapter One

So here we go guys! Chapter one, hope you enjoy it!! :)

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

A FEW MONTHS EARLIER

* * *

We all have firsts. First words. First kisses. First meetings. Today was my first day of St Peter's sixth form - the school where I am going to spend the next two years of my life. The prospectus I had flicked through before coming here said it was 'Surrey's best Catholic Boarding School and Sixth Form.' Most people would find the idea of a Catholic boarding school a living hell - to be honest, I was probably one of them.

I guess I'm not the typical Catholic school student. For starters, I'm not Catholic! I guess I believe in God and everything but I don't think that I really understand some of the things that Christians do. Church every sunday? Praying in little groups? Worshiping some Italian guy who lives in a big house and rides around in some Popemobile? I mean, they're not the sort of things most sixteen year old girls would be concerned with. As my drove me the long journey I feared the wierd, ugly, bible-bashers that would soon become my roomates. And only one thought flashed across my mind - what the hell had I let myself in for?

Sometimes I'm not sure whether it was my choice or not. Was it my choice that my Mum got cancer? When my mum got ill I felt that my only option was to stay and look after her. I'm so grateful that my dad made me realise that wasn't my only option. Catholic boarding school may be a little out of my comfort zone but would I prefer staying at home on my own all day while my Dad was at the hospital with Mum? Hell no! It may sound selfish but I think that I just needed some time away from the drama to be a teenager!

'Turn it down Jess!' Dad moaned at my iPod.

'Sorry Dad!' boredom from the two hour journey oozed through my response.

As I get nearer to my new school, I can't help but worry about introductions. Usually I'm fine with new people but usually I know at least one person there. At St Peter's, I didn't know anyone. That was the whole point, to get away from everyone I knew, that's what you need for a fresh start right? I mean, was am I going to say to them, "Hi, my name's Jess. I don't know anyone here, my mum's dying and I'm not catholic, please be my friend"? Like I said, I don't exactly fit the stereotype!

I had heard somewhere that Catholics don't do first impressions. Well I sure as hell hope not because they haven't always gone in my favour. I wouldn't describe myself as pretty, that would be lying, I do, however, have that plain kind of face that often gets mistaken for beautiful. My eyes are piercing green, my hair a dark brown. I guess I had my own insecurities just the same as every other girl my age; my nose doesn't seem to fit with the rest of my face; my upper arms are the definition of bingo wings; one boob is a lot bigger than the other! But I wasn't one to let these things get me down! I was reasonably toned from all the dancing I did, my complexion was a lot freer of spots than the majority of my friends and I definitely liked being my height - not so tall that I cowered over the boys, but not small enough to have kinks in my neck fro looking up at everyone. So yeah, I may have bee kind of plain - but that's the way God made me and so I might as well just except the fact and move on! I just wish everyone else could.

When you're a teenager, people can pick the most insignificant things to use against you. Whether it's a mistake you made one night at a party or that D you got on that exam you tried really hard on, there'll always be something. So I guess I'd found another pro of a catholic boarding-school, no judging allowed, right?