'Any Mention of the She-Devil?' - Chapter Twenty Five

After the winter fair meeting had ended, and we'd all said goodbye I headed to the canteen to get some food; I was absolutely starving, listening to Felicity and Anya sing had really taken its toll on my stomach.

Whilst queueing up for a plate of chips I heard a voice behind me. 'Jessie,' Danny yelled, 'yo!'.

'Danny you twat, be quiet,' I hushed him embarrassingly, letting the girl standing between us go in front. 'Why do you love embarrassing me so much? You're such a wanker.' I laughed.

'You're just way to fun to embarrass babe.' He joked. 'What're you getting?'

'Just some chips, I'm absolutely starving. That meeting dragged so much.'

'Tell me about it, my stomach was rumbling so much by the end it sounded like an auditioned.'

I laughed. 'Bet it sounded better than some of the people auditioning, Jesus Christ they were bad.' I was careful not to mention Felicity by name as the thought of rehashing the same fight with Danny was something I could seriously not be bothered to do.

'Yeah that first guy was so crap.' He seemed to bypass my dig at Felicity, good. 'Hey, what happened to you auditioning? Didn't Rachel say that you were going to play guitar and sing?' Danny asked as we moved to the front of the line.

'Just chips please,' I asked the woman behind the counter before turning back to Danny. 'No, that was just Rachel's wishful thinking. I'm seriously not sure I could sing in front of people judging me. Like I doubt the actual fair would be that bad but what if the committee vote against me that would just be so embarrassing.'

'Are you kidding Jess? I'm sure everyone would vote for you,' Danny asked as I picked up my chips. 'Fish, chips, mushy peas and gravy please.'

'Christ, it's four o clock, as if you're having a whole meal!' I jibed.

'I'm hungry,' Danny laughed as we wondered over to the nearest free table. 'And stop trying to avoid the question at hand, you know you'd get enough votes. Just audition at the next meeting, I'm sure no one would mind.'

'Danny, with all due respect you've never heard me sing.' I reminded him. How could he say with such certainty that everyone would vote for me anyway. I would never have voted for Felicity if he hadn't intervened, I doubt she's itching at the bit to vote for me. 'I could be the absolute dog's dinner for all you know.'

'I'm sure you're absolutely brilliant. You've not bad at anything.'

'I'm bad at maths.' I corrected.

'Fine you're bad at one thing.' He laughed at my mathematic incompetence. 'But seriously I'm sure you're amazing. Why don't you come over tonight and play something for me?'

'Okay, are you sure? I might be really, really bad.' I smiled at him.

'I'm positive. I would absolutely love to hear you and if you're honesty awful then I'll tell you and you won't have to audition. But if you're as good as I'm sure you are, then you audition in the next meeting. Deal?'

'Deal,' I agreed.

***

'Hey girl!' I yelled at Rachel as I swung open the door to our room. 'What're you up to?'

'Not much just finishing off some work, where have you been?' She asked as she swung around in her desk chair.

'I was so hungry I had to go get some chips. Bumped into Danny in the queue.'