'It smells like BO and wet dreams in here' - Chapter Twenty Six

Danny's POV

'You must be joking,' Jack looked at me perplexed.

'I'm totally serious mate, I need you out.'

'I'm not going to let you kick me out of my own room just so you can get with some girl,'

'Jack,' I looked him in the eye. 'In the nicest possible way, you are a complete bellend. This is not just some girl, this is Jessica flipping Fletcher. And it's not about just getting with her, it's about her letting her guard down to sing to me so I can properly try and get something started with us.'

'You're honestly expecting that she's gonna sing you one song and suddenly realise that she's been in love with you this whole time?' When he said it out loud it sounded idiotic, but yeah. That's exactly what I'd been expecting.

'Do you not think she will?'

'You know her better than me mate, I just feel like she would have just have told you already if she liked you.'

'No she's not like that,' I tried to explain. 'She puts on this front of being so confident but actually she's completely crap and telling people how she feels. And there's such a long complicated history with us it's not really as simple as just us liking each other and that's that.'

'How is it so complicated though, you always say that and never explain.'

'It's just that I was going out with her best friend and other stuff as well – 'I trailed off. Me and Jess had agreed never to talk about what had happened to other people. We never even discussed it between ourselves. 'Anyway,' I said, desperate to change the subject. 'Get out she's due in like ten minutes.'

'Fine,' Jack finally gave in. 'I guess I could go to the library for a bit, there's some work I should be doing.'

'Dude, thank you so much,' I grinned.

'No problem, just text me when she leaves I do not want to have to walk in on you two having sex if it goes really well.' He joked.

'Dude!' I groaned. 'Way to dampen the romantic mood I'm trying to set here.'

'Romantic?' He scoffed. 'What's romantic about a room where two boys live and hasn't been cleaned for two months. It smells like BO and wet dreams in here. Why do you think me and Rachel always go to hers?'

'Crap, you're right. Have you got any lynx or something that I can spray?'

'Yeah sure, that's going to solve all you problems,' Jack laughed as he chucked the can over. I sprayed it in abundance all over the room, girls love Lynx right? 'Okay I'm out of here, you kids have fun,'

'We will,' I replied as he closed the door behind him. I looked at the clock, eight minutes until she was meant to get here. There's not a lot I could do in eight minutes. My hair was looking pretty bad but I didn't have enough time for a shower so I just ran some gel through it and called it a day. I thought about putting some music on but then remembered that she was literally coming here to play guitar so that would be completely counter-productive. I brushed my teeth and put in a piece of gum, which I could tell was a little optimistic but the last thing I wanted was to be caught off guard.

I spend the remaining five minutes before Jess arrived just sitting on my bed, running through all the possible ways I could conceive this going. I knew it wasn't a proper date, but this was going to be the first even vaguely romantic thing we'd done since getting here and I didn't want to mess it up. I also thought about telling her about my kiss with Felicity but decided against it. Felicity seemed cool and all, but she was no Jess Fletcher. I don't think I'd ever met a girl quite like Jess and a kiss with the slightly above average looking head girl wasn't going to change how I felt. Besides it wasn't like it was a mutual arrangement, she had kissed me I hadn't asked her to. I was probably giving off some kind of signal that I wanted it – I think girls get confused when a boy shows any kind of emotion towards them, they always seem to misinterpret it. So by me trying to comfort Felicity she probably thought that I was pining to get my mack on with her.