'Tell me about the boy' - Chapter Five

So I'm not going to say much here apart from sorry again about the spacing, can't do anything about it! If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated, thanks!

/ / / / / / / / / / /

"Hey Jessie, how's your day been so far?" Rachel called as I entered Drama.

"Not bad, you'll never guess what?" I plonked my bag down at the side of the room, ready to act.

"What?"

"Turns out, I do know someone here after all!" Rachel raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"Really who is it?"

"Well his name's Danny and -" I was cut off by an excited squeal from Rachel.

"He's a boy?" People were starting to stare now as Rachel did a weird little dance thing.

"Yes," I laughed, "he's a boy!"

"Oh-Em-Geeee," okay Rachel had officially lost it! "How do you know him? Is he cute? Did you used to go out? Can I meet him?" Rachel bombarded me with questions and I didn't even know where to start.

Luckily before I had to answer her enquiries, the teacher interrupted our little conversation.

"Good morning girls! It's so great to see so many of you taking Drama at A Level!" I looked around, there was five of us in the room; was this really a good turnout? "Okay, so I think I know most of your names but let's go around anyway, please say your name and something interesting about yourself. I'll start! My name's Miss Bond and I have played Wendy in Peter Pan in four different pantomimes." There were a few nods of respect at this fact. "Rachel would you like to go next?"

"Sure, hi everyone!" There was a chorus of 'hi Rachel's as she did a little wave. "My name's Rachel and back at home I have 17 pets!"

"Wow," Miss Bond laughed, "Okay then next."

The other people in the class were then introduced. There were two boys, Sam and Lewis, who were very outgoing and confident - your typical drama students.

The girl was called Claire; I didn't recognise her from last night so she was probably in the other girls' dorm. I discovered that her uncle was some football I'd never heard of, who knew?

And then it was my turn.

"Okay, so next - introduce yourself!"Miss Bond smiled at me.

"Well my name's Jessica and my interesting fact is that," I thought for a little, was there anything interesting about me? "erm, is that I'm new." I looked around for smiles but all I saw was Miss Bond looking very disappointed.

"Jessica, no offence but I don't think that's very interesting."

"Oh okay," I laughed, trying to mask my embarrassment. My hands were getting clammy and my heart pounded. Crap, I really was bad at meeting new people. "Well, I," I froze, is there anything interesting about me? "I live with my mum and dad and - "

"Delve deeper," wow Miss Bond sure knew how to create an atmosphere; she must be a good actress.

"Erm," I squirmed, how much deeper was I willing to go? "My name's Jess and my Mum's dying from cancer."

I could see the shock on my fellow students faces. Crap. Was that too deep? I looked at Rachel and her face gave me the support that I needed. She was smiling though her eyes looked full of sorrow. I didn't want people to feel sorry for me, I knew that much, but the encouraging look that Rachel had was the perfect reaction. I could get through this.