'Focus on his eyes' - Chapter Thirty Three

Once sound check was out of the way there was a lot of waiting around backstage. And I'm not going to lie, it was awkward as hell. Matthew was kept busy sorting out a bunch of technical issues, giving a seemingly forced smile every time he passed me. It was weird. I kept wondering if what Rachel had said was true, whether he really did fancy me or have a crush on me or something. The idea seemed barbaric at first. I mean he was head boy, super-hot and probably one of the nicest guys in the entire school. And who was I? An average looking girl from the lower sixth, who was late to all her classes and cheated with her best friend's boyfriend only to start going out with him a few months later. Why would he want anything to do with me?

My milling around was made even worse by Felicity and her little minions giggling and laughing at every single thing that each other said. What in hell was she planning? She was definitely up to something. Her comments earlier were just weird, and completely uncalled for. She put me so much on edge.

Seeing Rachel walk in from the front of the auditorium was a welcome break from the pure awkward tension that surrounded me backstage. Amy and Zac followed her closely and all three of them seemed to be impressed with how the hall looked.

'Wow it looks incredible!' Exclaimed Rachel as soon as she got close enough for me to hear her.

'I know right, I was amazed.' I replied, before turning to Amy and Zac. 'Usually it's a complete dump where we just have assemblies.'

'Oh it looks really cool.' Said Amy. 'So what are you up to at the moment?'

'Not much, just waiting around really. I'm not sure what they're going to have us do but I know I can't leave just yet 'cause there's all these technical issues and they might need me to do soundcheck again. But it's nice to have you here.'

'Yeah sure, it's just nice to spend some time with you! I want to talk to you about what happened last night as well.' She said, before adding. 'Later though, not right now.'

'Sure fine.' I spoke quickly, hoping to mask my fear at what more she could possibly have to say.

After a slight pause, Rachel spoke. 'Okay Jess, I'm going to go then if you guys are alright here. I promised Jack I'd go see him this morning before the fair starts properly.'

'Okay cool.' I replied. 'Erm Rachel, did you talk to Danny this morning?'

'Yes I did, crap he told me to tell you that he's going to come and have lunch with you before the fair starts if that's okay.'

'Yeah that's cool, thanks.'

'No problem.' Rachel said before turning to walk away. 'Okay see you later then!'

'Bye!' Amy, Zac and I called.

The three of us moved to go and sit back down on some chairs that were at the side of the stage.

'This is all so exciting!' Amy exclaimed. 'I can't believe that you're actually going to be singing in front of all of these people Jess, I'm so proud of you.'

'Thanks gal. I'm so glad that you could be here to see it. I feel like I haven't seen you in so long.'

'I wouldn't have missed it for the world! I just can't believe that my best friend is actually doing this, you've got more confidence then I ever have.'

'I don't know about that.' I admitted. 'I have to be honest and say that I was still absolutely terrified of telling you about me and Danny.' As the words came out of my mouth I already regretted them. Why did I feel the need to bring up me and Danny to Amy yet again, hadn't I learned my lesson.