Part 18

It had been one week since Stevie's and Lindsey's last night together in Dublin and she was now back at her condo in Santa Monica.

The last hours together, they had spent having more angry, needy, desperate sex, successfully avoiding to talk about their "relationship" once again. They had become better and better in ignoring their issues and instead compensated them with more sex, the only thing they seemed to be good at lately. It all felt like as if they were back in their thirties, when their only communication had been fucking in hotel and dressing rooms. Only the fighting and screaming matches had disappeared and Stevie couldn't help but think that they hadn't grown up one bit.

Stevie was sitting on her balcony with a glass of redwine, taking in the sunset in front of her. She had a blanket wrapped around her body to keep herself from freezing, her little Yorkie lay cuddled up at her feet.

She enjoyed having a break from touring and it was great to be back in Santa Monica in her beloved surrounding with all her things and art that made her feel home, with the ocean in front of her windows and the sound of the waves in the air. Oh, much much she had missed that! Sleeping in hotel beds all over the world was exhausting and irritating at the same time, often she had not even an idea in which city she was, even though she couldn't deny that the last months of sleeping in hotel suites hadn't been that bad – all thanks to Lindsey.

Lindsey. And once again her thoughts were with him. What was he doing right now? Where was he? And more importantly, with whom?

She took another nip from her glass and closed her eyes for a moment, instantly memories of their sensual nights were coming up in her head. What the hell were they doing?! And how was this whole thing going to end? She was 67 for God's sake and still having an affair with a married man. She couldn't believe it herself. She knew what they were doing was wrong, so wrong – but she just didn't want to stop. Even after their little fight she had been unable to throw him out or even distance herself from him, instead she had once again welcomed him in her bed and after hours of sex they had fallen asleep in each other's arms, not mentioning what was happening between them once.

The flight back to California had been quiet. They had sat apart from each other, once in awhile exchanging looks but sitting next to each other would have been too obvious. Saying goodbye at the airport had ripped her heart into a million pieces, knowing that he was going to go home to his family, a warm house full of children and laughter and a wife that had certainly missed him..

Stevie sighed and looked up at the sky, it had gotten dark outside and the sky was so clear that she could see millions of stars shining. Suddenly, one of them started moving – a shooting star.

"Oh wow! I haven't seen one of these in ages!", she exclaimed enthusiastically, "Now, we have to make a wish, honey!", she laughed then and pulled her dog up in her arms to show her the sky.

I wish he was here...

Sulamith licked happily her face in response and Stevie giggled lightly, trying to escape her dog's lapping tongue, "Hey, stop it! You know, I don't like that!"

The sudden ringing of her door bell disturbed the silence around her. She took a look at her watch. It was 11pm. Who the hell came up at her condo at that time of the day?!

Reluctantly, she placed her dog on the floor and walked to the door.

"Who's it?!", she asked through the intercom.

"Stevie? This is Lindsey."

Stevie stared with wide eyes at the intercom. Was this some sick joke?! A shooting star? A wish? And then he was here?!