31. burned the disco down

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

Effy March has always been a wild and rather poorly mannered young girl. Once upon a time she had tried to do as she was told but when she realised it wasn't going to change anything, she stopped trying. She would be nice and well behaved if she felt like it but the fear of Miss Moore's cane had long ago drained out of her.

She looked around the ballroom, feeling like an intruder. She was not a fancy heiress who has grown with wealth and privileges like the people around her. If it wasn't for Caleb, she would never attend such a pretentious and shallow event. As someone who has grown with less than nothing, Effy couldn't comprehend the amount of ungratefulness in the room. She heard a girl around her age complain how her mother didn't buy her a new pair of diamond earrings while she was wearing a necklace that cost more than a painting in the Louvre.

All throughout her life, Effy's felt like an outsider. But she didn't even know who she was so how could she ever fit in anywhere. It was a feeling her little sisters shared with her — they have talked about the subject several times before. They were good at faking though and even someone as uncivil as Effy could spend a few hours at a ball.

"This is Effy March," Eudora's disapproving voice interrupted Effy's thoughts.

Eudora Zabini was now standing in front of Effy, a group of women in expensive dresses and shining diamonds and pearls with her. All the women looked at Effy as if she was something to avoid.

"Mother..." Caleb hurried to Effy's side. He wrapped his arm around Effy's waist and placed a kiss on her temple before turning to his mother. "I hope you weren't going to say anything I wouldn't want to hear."

"Of course not," Eudora said, faking a smile. "I was only going to tell her that I got an early glimpse at Rita Skeeter's newest story, which stars our dear Effy and her sisters."

It was like a slap to her face, Effy realised. She hated publicity and ever since the Triwizard Tournament and Rory's wrongful participation, the March sisters have decorated almost every front page of the Daily Prophet.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me..." mumbled Effy.

Most of the women looked at Effy with contempt — she was a pretty young thing their cheating and idiotic husbands might like — while some had just the tiniest sympathy in their eyes. It wasn't there when they had approached her but as seconds turned into minutes, they began to realise who Effy was and what her life has been like.

Poor, sad, orphan.

"And I thought you ought to know that Skeeter is here. In the library," a woman from the crowd of big dresses and clouds of perfume said. Effy didn't recognize this woman, she was sure of it, but felt a sense of gratitude towards her.