40. the loss of my life

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

the loss of my life

Eudora Zabini was not happy to hear about her son's engagement. In fact she had been furious, thrown heirloom vases around, cursing Salazar himself. She didn't care for Effy. She never has and never will. Eudora thought Effy wasn't good enough for the Zabini name. She wasn't a proper lady who has been taught the proper ways of a pureblood woman. For all Eudora knew Effy could be a muggle.

The very thought was appalling.

Not in a million years had Eudora thought that she would have to deal with things kind of a problem. She had done her best to raise her sons to be ideal pureblood men but had clearly failed — well at least there was still Blaise. But to name Blaise as the heir to their family fortune would require more legal action than just Eudora's personal opinion of her future daughter-in-law.

Eudora was looking at Effy through narrowed eyes as they were waiting for the results. Effy was sitting in the corner of the room while the older woman was standing close to the door, wanting to be the first person to see the results. She was secretly hoping that Effy was indeed muggle-born. She knew her son wouldn't leave Effy immediately but soon enough the thought of being with a muggle would get to him and he will leave her — Eudora was sure of this.

"Why haven't you ever done the test?" Eudora asked suddenly, surprising Effy with her question.

Shrugging her shoulders, Effy glanced at the woman who has spent the past years hating her for no reason.

"Never had the money. Or when I had money, I didn't think to spend it on something this stupid," she said bluntly.

"But this test will show you more than just your blood status. It might even reveal your parents' names," Eudora said. "I thought that's what orphans want."

Effy rolled her eyes. "I have never been too excited to find out about the past. The present company is already less to my liking. Why would I torture myself with more?"

"So you truly don't know anything?" Mused Eudora, arching a regal brow.

"Just that we were brought to Raffedy's Home by a stranger who we haven't seen since," she explained, Eudora's questions annoying the life out of her. "I thought you read all this from Daily Prophet already," she added.

"I did but you can never really know when it comes to Skeeter," Eudora turned to take a look at the door but it was still closed.

The blonde muttered. "Yet you seemed quite confident with Skeeter's writings that one time."