18. answers and hidden gems

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

answers and hidden gems

Rory was glad to go back to school for several reasons but the main reason was Hermione. She was going to see Hermione every single day. Ever since Rory's visit at the Granger residence she's been unable to concentrate. Hermione was almost all she could think about — the only other thing in her mind was the tournament and the Golden Egg.

Ever since she was little, Rory March has been someone who holds on to her promises ― even the ones she's made to herself. She had promised that once the year ends and a new one begins, she will figure out the clue for the next task and she was going to do it without anyone's help.

Cedric had offered her an answer ― he had figured out the clue just before the holidays ― but Rory kindly rejected his offer as she did not want to depend on anyone. However she did accept his help. Cedric had told her to open the Golden Egg in the water which made absolutely no sense but then again, when has anything remotely related to the tournament ever made any sense?

Relaxing for the rest of the holiday was out of the question and Rory ended up filling her days with the strangest tasks just so she wouldn't have to think about the Second Task and the clue which she should crack once she gets back to school.

With the greatest hurry in her life, Rory nearly ran to the Perfect Bathroom the second she got back to Hogwarts. She didn't even care that she missed a class and was more than glad to have to explain her absence to Professor Trelawney the next time she sees her.

The Prefect Bathroom was on the fifth floor of Hogwarts and had a restricted use but lucky for Rory, she was named Prefect at the beginning of the semester ― though she has barely had any time to do her duties as a Prefect because of the tournament. The Prefect Bathroom was like a spa with its large swimming pool-like tub which was sunken into the ground with hundreds of golden taps surrounding it. The bathroom was softly lit by a splendid candle-filled chandelier and everything was made of white marble, the pool included.

"Here we go," she sighed, placed the Golden Egg on the floor and took off her clothes until she was only wearing a top and a pair of boxer shorts.

Because Cedric had told her to open the Golden Egg in water, Rory first tipped her toes into the pool before jumping all the way until she was neck deep in the water.

Rory's hopes were sky high when she opened the Golden Egg but instead of learning anything new, her ears started to ring when the usual, most horrible noise filled the bathroom.

"C'moon," muttered Rory once she closed the egg.

"You should try to open it under water," said a voice Rory has heard before.