39. jolly christmas

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

jolly christmas

Either Miss Moore was drunk, delusional or just in good spirits when she let the March sisters go unpunished and see their friends. They were due to meet Harry and the others at Twelve Grimmauld Place. The invitation had surprised the March sisters beyond words but they were glad to know there were people who actually cared about them.

This year Christmas wasn't going to be lonely nor dark. It was going to be filled with friends, joy and laughter like in the Little Women.

But even if their Christmas would be as dull and colourless as before, there was a silver lining called Effy and Caleb's engagement. The news of their engagement had given the March sisters some new hope that perhaps they were not destined to live horrible lives and that maybe sometimes things might turn out fine for them.

Grimmauld Place had changed a lot over the past months. The last time Rory and her sisters had visited the place it was still covered in cobwebs and the corners collected more dust than Harry collected detention. While the house still felt as if it was haunted, it was no longer as dark or gave murderous vibes. The house was nicely decorated for Christmas.

"Wait, what is this?" Effy asked, her eyes wide with surprise when she followed her sisters into the kitchen.

The kitchen where everyone was waiting for the March sisters and Caleb, was decorated for Effy and Caleb's surprise engagement party. Lara, Rory and Via grinning widely at their big sister, wanting to give her a little celebration that was all about her, and Caleb.

"We thought we would surprise you," Mrs Weasley said with a bright smile while setting the table.

"We heard the great news," added Andromeda who had surprised everyone with her appearance. She had sworn never to visit her aunt's home once she was disowned but she was willing to make an exception for the March sisters.

Effy was lost in words. She had never expected her engagement touching so many people or that those people would actually throw her a party.

"So we all thought it would be great to join this year's Christmas celebrations with your wonderful news," Remus Lupin said and pointed at the ring on Effy's finger. "If you don't mind."

"I-I ummm..." Effy bit her lip, completely thrown off by the amount of people in the room who actually seemed to care about her. There was of course her sisters and Caleb. The Weasleys were there too, so was Finn Attway, Hermione, Harry, Sirius, Remus and the Tonks family. Only Olive was absent but she was visiting her family.