27. maybe we're cursed

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

maybe we're cursed

It was safe to say that from the moment Rory appeared in the middle of the Quidditch Pitch with Cedric's dead body her life turned upside down — even more than ever before. She couldn't sleep for days nor did anyone let her as everyone kept asking her questions and even questioned her words as some had trouble believing that Voldemort had returned. She hardly blamed those for not believing her — she would like to stay in denial too if she could.

While witnessing Cedric's death was horrible and Rory will never recover from it, the look of pure terror and disbelief on Lara's face when she realised what has happened will forever haunt Rory.

"Hi! Via and Olive were looking for you."

Rory was startled at first — she's become quite jumpy after the cemetery incident — but made a fast recovery when she saw Hermione approaching her in the middle of the fourth floor's corridor.

"Oh... did they tell you why?" Rory sighed while Hermione sat down next to her on a cold stone bench. "Or were they looking for me just to make sure I'm not going mad in some dark corner?"

Ever since the events of the Third Task, Olive's been with her best friend around the clock except when Rory manages to slip away. She adores Olive for being so supportive of her and for making sure everything was well — considering the circumstances.

"They are just worried. We all are," said Hermione and offered a sympathetic smile to her friend.

Rory shook her head. "I'm not the one people should worry about. Lara is the one who went through such a loss."

"But you are the one who witnessed it all," Hermione argued. "Besides, you are friends with Cedric so you lost someone too."

"Was..." whispered Rory, her gaze falling down. "He was my friend."

Hermione bit her lip, nodding her head. "Yes..."

"I should have done something," said Rory. "Voldemort was after me, for some odd reason, and so Cedric got killed because of me. Because he was there with me."

"Hey, stop that!" Hermione said loudly — she wasn't going to listen to Rory blame herself for what had happened. "It was not your fault. Nobody thinks that. Not his parents, not his friends and definitely not Lara."

Rory turned to look at Hermione. "You don't know that. Lara... she's... she's my twin. I've been with her my whole life but now it feels like I don't know her. She doesn't even look like herself."

"That's because she's tired and scared. While losing Cedric was horrible, she could have lost you too," explained Hermione. "That would have destroyed her. It would have destroyed me."