28. miss hannigan

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

miss hannigan

It was very hard for the March sisters to enjoy their summer — Cedric's death, Voldemort's return were the few things on the top of their minds — and also the return to Raffedy's was less than warm. They were of course glad to see Effy and Mr Bee too who were there to greet them when they came back from school.

Life at Raffedy's had gone from bad to really bad. Effy had kept her sisters in the dark from the horrors of their home but they all faced them the second they got back. Miss Moore had gone mental or something close to that — she was yelling at all times, forcing the children to do all the cleaning and all the cooking. She had turned into Miss Hanningan from Annie.

"Mama!" Rory woke up in the middle of the night, crying after the woman she has not seen in over a decade nor ever remembered.

Just seconds ago she had been plagued by a nightmare, surrounded by nothing but darkness and pain. People screaming and begging for mercy. Wizards and witches, whose faces were covered with masks, using the Cruciatus Curse as if it was nothing. A woman's loud cackling — one that belongs to no one else than a mad woman. Over the years Rory has known pain but nothing compared to the one she witnessed in her dreams. It was gut wrenching, soul crushing and made Rory wonder after humanity.

She knew that there was a war coming — Voldermort had made that clear. So far Rory didn't know how the Wizarding World was going to respond to that, or how they were going to fight back since almost everyone was in a strong state of denial.

Lara stirred in her sleep, lying on the bed next to Rory's but didn't wake up. Rory sighed out of relief — the last thing she wanted was to wake up Lara. Swinging her legs over her bed, Rory put on a pair of slippers to prevent her feet from freezing. Although it was summer, the floors of the old and mouldy house were always cold.

Every other floorboard creaked even when Rory was trying her very best to walk as softly and quietly as she could. It wasn't against the house rules to go for a walk in the middle of the night but it was frowned upon. Rory went to the living room area and sat down on the dusty couch located just next to the biggest window of the entire house.

She brought her knees to her chest, hugging her legs and made herself as small as she possibly could. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't shake off the nightmare but kept rewinding it over and over again. Rory wasn't only worried about the nightmare which, somehow, reminded her of something. She was worried about her sisters, herself and her friends. Everything she had gone through in school was now going to haunt her forever. She was the new Harry Potter perhaps. Always in trouble and the centre of attention.