Chosen?

>>Amara

I went and sat down in our usual spot in the classroom, feeling sort of depressed but apparently, I wasn't the only one. The moment I put my bag down I noticed Nico sitting on the chair all dazed out.

What's wrong with him?

I waved my hand in front of him and he sighed.

"Stop," He said in a low tone, "I'm low on energy."

'Why?' I asked, 'Did something happen?' I sat down on the desk and watched him. He stared back at me, then sighed again.

"I don't know," He let out an exasperated sigh, "But it feels like a lot has happened and then nothing much has happened at the same time."

'Has it got something to do with your family?'

He shook his head, "No," Then he paused, licked his lips, then bit his lower lip, "Amara," He seemed not only hesitant to speak but also concerned.

'Tell me,' I signed, 'What is wrong?'

We locked our eyes and seeing him worried made me worry. He closed his eyes and scratched his right eyelid, "Well," He opened his eyes again and looked at me, "Do you believe fated mates still exist?"

!!!

His question caught me off guard, I wasn't expecting him to ask me that. Not when I was having trouble with my soulmate.

'They say there is a one percent chance that a wolf gets to meet their God-sent mate.' I shrugged, 'So yes, they do exist.' I'm only saying this because not only did I meet mine, my sister met her mate too.

"Well," He shook his head in disappointment, "I met mine."

My eyes went wide, 'Really?' I was surprised but at the same time as I discovered that my best friend was also facing the same situation, a whirlwind of emotions engulfed me. With a mixture of surprise and empathy, there was a profound sense of connection that comforted me.

It might be wrong of me to think like that. But I'm so glad I'm not the only one stuck in this situation.

'Who is it?' I asked, 'Do I know her?'

As soon as I asked the question, his expression got worse. He felt devastated and let out another sigh, "Him," He whined, "It's a guy!"

Oh...

Shit...

Empathy washed over me as I absorbed the depth of his struggles. His mate is a guy? Gosh... His father would kill him if he found out. I pursed my lips. He must want to stay away from the person.

I sighed.

Just like I do...

The revelation caught me off guard, and for a moment, I was at a loss for words. Yet at the same time, the realization that my closest friend was experiencing similar challenges felt surreal but at the same time, I felt a little guilty. He told me his struggles right away yet I've kept mine hidden.

Nico drifted back into a daze while my heart felt heavy. It would be unfair of me to keep the same struggle hidden from him.

I tapped my finger onto Nico's shoulder and he looked at me again, "What?"

'I've met my fated mate too.' I kept my eyes on him and watched as his eyes went wide this time.

"Really?" He straightened up, "You have?!?"

I nodded, 'You know the guy,'

"WHO!?!?" He asked, "I know him?"

I nodded, then paused, then nodded to myself and signed his name, 'Killian,' Nico's eyebrows knitted together,

"Killian? Killian Blair?" I nodded at his question, "An Alpha?" He knew my family situation, well almost everyone did because it was on the news but the world only knows it briefly. Nico knew the details and he knew what it meant to have an Alpha werewolf as my mate, "Sucks." He shook his head, "Wait," He recalled something, "You met him on the first day here too? Right? He was pursuing you." He rolled his eyes, "That finally makes sense."

'I first met him when I saw him at the Alpha Academy.'

"Oh?" He was surprised, "It's been quite some time then."

I nodded and he slumped back on his seat, then let out a sarcastic chuckle, "What were the odds?" His eyes looked at me, "This is funny."

'What is?'

"Killian's cousin," He had a mocking expression plastered on his face, "Asher," He watched me, making sure if I knew him and I nodded, "He's my mate."

And my eyes went wide again.

...

...

We had a unique understanding of each other's struggles, and though we were both frustrated at our situations, after we shared it with each other, there was a moment of relief that passed by us and we both ended up laughing at our misery.

"On your seats!!" The professor came and we both shut up. All the students took their places while the teacher reached the desk and opened the attendance book.

Nico and I shared a glance, then smiled. I'm glad I have him as my friend, he didn't even mind the fact that I never told him about my mate even though I met him quite some many months ago. He just focused on what could be troubling me.

And I'm so thankful for that.

The professor took our attendance and then let out a deep sigh, "You all know the hunter's fest is coming, right?" She looked at the class, "For those who don't know, it's an event werewolves participate in, wolves from the elite class. They go to hunt in the mountain jungle and have a whole competition there."

Oh,

I nodded. I think I've heard of it before.

"And each other many art students from our department are allowed to go to The Hunter's Festival and paint whatever captures their attention."

The class got excited at her words.

"But the draws are random, chosen by the head of the department herself." Her gaze got a little intense, "And there are rarely ever any students from the first years, even if there were in the past, at most one student was chosen, yet," She looked at each and every student, "Surprisingly, her gaze landed on Nico and I, we have three first-years this time."

"OH~~" The class seemed delighted and Nico and I exchanged a look of dread. The way she looked at us made us both feel weird.

"I'll announce the names," She opened her phone to check the list, "Tina Dobrev." She announced the name of the prettiest girl in the class and all the students cheered for her.

"Nico Roy and Amara Alma,"

The class went quiet. Then turned to look at us both who sat at the very end of the lecture hall. It was a shock to everyone that we were chosen or should I say, that 'I' was chosen. Students with disabilities are never chosen for events like these.

Nico and I looked at each other again because it certainly didn't make sense to us either.

Why were we chosen!?!?