Move on

>>Mike Alma

Sitting on the bench on the open terrace is what I've found the most pleasant in my time here. After eating and taking a walk, I sit down on the bench and enjoy the breeze.

It was a cloudy afternoon and I was sitting in my usual spot staring across the glass screen when the nurse approached me.

"Mr, Alma, there is a guest here to meet you." She spoke politely and I looked at her in confusion.

A guest?

Who could it be this time?

"Who?" I asked and she stepped aside to point at the person behind her.

I turned my head and my eyes went wide for a second.

Then I smiled,

"Rachel," My wife was here, making her way towards me with a file in her hands.

"Hello Mike," She waved at me softly, with a soft look on her face.

The nurse bowed and went back while my wife walked over to me and sat down on the bench with me.

"How have you been?" I asked as she settled in.

"Can't say I've been great," She replied as she stared at the glass fence, "But I haven't been great for years now."

I wanted to start the conversation with light pleasantries but I guess she wants to get straight to the point.

"..." I looked away, "I see," My chest hurt, "Sorry," It was all understandable. I had given so much pain to so many people after all.

"Well, what's done is done, it can't be undone." Her voice was calm and I honestly wasn't expecting her to look this calm.

"...." I had no words to return to her.

"But," I glanced at her, "After we let Grace go and the illusion we were keeping finally shattered," She was looking into a distance, a cool breeze went past us, fluttering her hair, "And we may have become the laughing stock of the world too, but still," There was a subtle smile on her face, "I've started to feel better."

When I looked at her, my heart stung a little and I couldn't help but stare at her peaceful face.

She looked like she had been liberated from her chains.

"I see..." She must have felt so constricted all those years... She did do all that just for me. To keep me sane...

"I used to feel so ugly when we were all constricted in that fake reality." She let out a deep breath, "The house may be empty now but whenever I do go back there, I find a sense of freedom," Her smile faltered, "May it be lonely..."

"..." Her words hurt me a lot. Especially because I knew she lost so much because of me, "I can only offer words of apology," I kept my eyes on her, "I'm sorry," But she kept looking into a distance.

"I'm equally at fault." She let out a sarcastic chuckle, but it sounded more like a cry for help, "I chose to go along with it." She finally turned to look at me, "I couldn't accept Mael's death either, and looking at you made me think maybe I could do the same thing and live with it." She let her body slump back, "But it didn't happen, no one could take Mael's place for me, and looking at the girl impersonating my son only made me angry."

"It wasn't her fault."

"I know," She nodded, "That child was innocent and yet there were so many times I took my anger out on her." She shook her head with a distraught expression, "I felt like a monster, something so ugly, I hated looking at myself in the mirror." She paused, "She did not deserve what we gave her..." Her gaze dropped and I could see the regret in her eyes.