Happy Birthday

>>Amara

The air was charged with excitement as my sister and I dove into the whirlwind of birthday arrangements. The atmosphere buzzed with the laughter of guests who had eagerly volunteered to help, turning what could have been a mundane task into a collaborative celebration. As we adorned the space with decorations, my heart swelled with a mix of joy and gratitude. My mate and his family were here, along with Eli and his family. Nico and Asher were invited as well and Nico was spending a good time talking to my Mom.

Nico moved in with Asher's family while his own disowned him. But surprisingly he said he didn't feel all the bad about it. Rather, he felt so much relief after leaving that toxic household!

But he didn't take anything from the Blairs, instead he started working so he could afford his studies and Asher was supporting him.

It turned out good for him. I always felt so bad that I could never do anything for him but life really is weird. Because he won that art event, he gets a lot of commissions and is earning good from that.

The guests, like a festive ensemble, busied themselves with tasks, laughter serving as the soundtrack to our collaborative endeavor.

The act of setting up became a celebration in itself. As we arranged decorations and positioned the cake, I couldn't help but be touched by the warmth of the shared experience. The whole thing just felt so wholesome.

The laughter and chatter intertwined with the rustle of wrapping paper and the clink of glasses, creating a harmonious background.

As we neared the completion of the arrangements, a sense of satisfaction settled over the room.

Grace and I stood back to admire our collective creation and then exchanged glances that conveyed the unspoken joy of a successful endeavor.

Everything was ready and we were just about to take our place and cut the cake when the doorbell rang

We all paused and looked at each other. Everyone that was invited was already here, so who could be at the door?

"I'll open it," Eli walked to the door and opened it slightly, then paused, looked back at me with a confused look but didn't say anything and opened the door some more while the rest of us stared at him.

What could have gotten him confused? Who's at the door? Did someone order something?

As he opened the door, a man stepped inside

!!!

A man no one had expected.

Oh My...

"Dad?" Grace said and everyone froze. I looked at my sister and got a little worried. She met Dad at the hospital but they didn't talk. Grace did tell me she didn't hate him but her feelings were mixed up.

I walked up to her just for a little moral support and we both stared at our father. Everyone else went completely quiet since they all knew this was a sensitive topic.

"Oh," Dad seemed flustered, "Sorry to intrude," He looked quite weak, "I didn't mean to ruin anything," He ran his hand on the side of his neck nervously, "I thought I could join..." He wasn't meeting our gaze, as if he was embarrassed and guilty, "I-uh," He was jittery, kept tapping his foot on the ground, "Wanted to try and be a part of the family." His last line was merely a whisper. It barely reached us sisters and I'm sure no one behind us heard him at all

...

So that's why he came...

"He remembers our birthday...?" Grace was astounded. There was an expression of disbelief on her face but there was something else there too mixed with it. Under that mask of bafflement, there was a sense of pleasant relief.