The lovely gentleman

>>Amara

I quietly made my way through the forest, feeling a little down. This treatment of people avoiding me wasn't new but that doesn't mean it was any less damaging.

I let out a soft sigh and kept walking but my thoughts were full of how it was a mistake that I was sent here. What was the department even thinking when they chose me?? Okay, I get that people are chosen at random but after they've been chosen I'm sure they looked at my data!

And even after that, it didn't cross their minds to skip me and choose someone else? Why!?!?!

!!!

I was so lost in thought and even a little mad that I lost my footing over an outgrown tree-root and fell to my demise.

Well, almost fell to my demise, but right before I hit the ground and rolled to God knows where, someone caught my waist and pulled me straight up.

!?!?

"Are you alright?" And there came a pleasant voice of a man who made me stand up right again.

My heart skipped a beat as I turned, startled, only to find myself face to face with a hunter. He stood there with a subtly concerned expression on his face as he waited for my answer.

Oh!

Either I was too lost in my thoughts, or he's nimble on his feet because I didn't notice him at all, 'I'm fine,' I nodded as I signed the words to him.

A small, knowing smile played at the corners of his lips, "That's good." He took a step back, "The forest is dangerous though, you shouldn't be here alone."

I averted my gaze at his words. I didn't know what to tell him. How could I tell him no one wanted to be here with me? But at the same time, I could sense his gaze on him.

"Um," He cleared his throat, "I didn't mean to be rude or anything." I turned my face to look at him again, "I saw you outside, asking the other hunters if they could accompany you." I just blinked at him in confusion and he got a little flustered, "Well, the thing is," He averted his gaze, "I thought you would come and ask me or my group too but you left for the forest before that."

!!!

My eyes grew a little wide at his words and I was going to sign my words to him but then stopped. He wouldn't understand that...

I went for my phone which was in my bag but he spoke before I opened the app.

"I just wanted to say I would like to accompany you." I stopped with my phone in my hands and looked back at him with surprise, "If," He was looking at me softly, "You don't mind my company."

I can't describe how happy I felt at that moment. It was as if something was lifted off of my mind and I found myself smiling like a fool. It was like my chest felt lighter, like the world wasn't all that bad as I thought it was.

I nodded at him enthusiastically and he grinned back.

"Great!" He gestured toward the path ahead, a clear invitation for me to join him, "Let's go then," He presented his other hand to me, "I'll guide you."

I nodded and took his hand without a second thought.

"Oh right," He looked at me, "I didn't ask for you name,"

I opened the text-to-speech app, 'Amara,'

He nodded, "Pretty name," He made me smile, "I'm Logan." And I felt my heart flutter a little.

OH! LORD! Thank you so much for sending someone!!

I'm so glad someone's ready to help me out!!

Logan had long brown hair, tied in a man-bun which quite suited him.