Answers

>>Amara

Dad looked at me with a surprised expression.

I guess he wasn't expecting me to ask him a question like that. It was a little straightforward but I honestly had no idea how else I was supposed to ask it.

He looked away, staring beyond the glass fence

"Did I love your mother?" He repeated the question, almost as if he was asking himself. I brought my hands down and stared at him. This was a crucial question, "I guess you're asking this because I chose my wife in the end, aren't you?"

I nodded at him and clenched my hands that now rested on my thighs.

I wonder how he felt all this time. Mom was his fated mate, someone he was bound to love, so how was it that he chose his wife and not her? How did any of our ancestors do that?

"Yes," He replied, "From the very moment I laid my eyes on her," And I felt goosebumps erupt on my body, "From the beginning," He paused for a moment, "Even now..." He turned his head to glance at me and I felt a rush go through me.

'Then why!?' I asked, 'Why didn't you choose her?' This always bothered me. It bothered me even when I had no idea how strong the mate bond was, but after I experienced it, my doubts doubled.

If it was so strong, how did people leave their mates?

A subtle but broken smile appeared on his face, "I was afraid,"

My mouth opened, slightly agape, at his answer.

'Afraid?'

He nodded, "I loved my wife very much," The more he talked, the wearier he looked, "But all of those strong emotions just seemed to vanish when I saw your mother." He looked up at the dark sky, "The pull was so strong I knew I was in trouble and I was going to reject your mother and get away but then-"

'She went into heat,' I sighed, 'I know...'

"And then she had you two..." He nodded, "I didn't go back to your mom for a while so I didn't know for a while that she had you two. I stayed with Rachel, but I felt so guilty. It was eating me up and no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get your mother out of my mind... Especially because I never got to reject her."

'You said the pull was strong,' My emotions had calmed down a little, 'So why did you think about rejecting her?' I looked into his eyes, 'Because of Rachel? Your wife? Or because Mom had no background to support her?'

I've always wondered about this. If Mom was from a prominent family member, daughter of some tycoon, would Dad's decision have been different? The Elite class only likes people like themselves after all and that fact alone is what has always made me afraid, especially after I met with Killian.

He let out a soft scoff, "It has nothing to do with personal backgrounds." He shook his head, "Absolutely nothing."

...

My feelings mushed up a little.

Nothing?

It didn't matter? Not at all? I blinked at him in confusion as I felt an odd sensation.

'Then?'

His gaze wandered for a moment, then it came back to me, "It was messed up from the start. I knew if I didn't reject her right at the beginning I wouldn't be able to do it later either. That's why when I met your mother in the forest while hunting, I took her away to a more private spot, away from the other hunters to reject her and pretend it never happened."

"But I guess she knew what I was going to do and I don't know if her wolf forced out a heat because of the fear or if it was meant to happen, but any wolf is bound to go wild as soon as he smells an omega in heat."