His family

>>Nico

"We warned you," My father spoke sternly, "It would not end well if you slipped up." There was so much contempt in his voice, as if he was talking to an enemy rather than family.

My father, my mother and my brother stood in front of me, their arms folded and the disgust in their eyes was sky high while they stared down at me.

"Yes," I answered while we stood in the corner of the party hall, "I remember," I replied while I stood awkwardly with one of my arms in Asher's and the other one in Anne's.

The siblings glared at my family while I talked. They were acting as my armor.

"Why do this then?" My mother asked.

"It was destiny," I replied.

For the past two days Asher's family stuck to me like glue. They kept reassuring me that nothing would make them abandon me and that I was their family now. And one might think words don't work but it's worked enough that I'm speaking so openly in front of my family now.

And to other people it might not mean much, but it's a huge improvement on my part since I've never been able to say much to them before. It's not like I've never said anything, I have, which was always accompanied by fear and followed by abuse.

The kind of abuse I've suffered for years.

I still don't know how these people can accept me so openly. I get why Asher can, we have a bond between us but how could the others? Is it simply because Asher's happiness matters to them more than anything?

Is that how families are supposed to be like?

If yes, then I must have been punished for being born into a family like mine.

"Destiny?" Mother did not like the sound of that, "What rubbish are you spouting?"

"I'm just telling you the truth." I smiled, "This was my fate."

I didn't feel scared for some reason any more, and if I think about it, it must be because of the people-armor around me. I couldn't wipe the smile on my lips. And that must be because of Asher and his family and how openly they're adoring me.

"He's implying that this prude," Romano pointed at Asher, "Is his fated mate."

"Oh?" Mother's eye twitched; "A fated pair?" She shook her head, "What a stupid concept."

"So," Father looked at Mister Luther, "You're fine with this abomination?"

The word ticked off all of them, "You mean, the wonderful present." Luther replied, "We're more than happy to have him." He placed his hand on my shoulder as he stood behind me, "I'd say he's a blessing."

!!!

I'm not used to words like these. It made my eyes go wide again, then the next moment, my gaze softened.

My heart warmed again. It was the kind of feeling I had never really got to experience with my family. They always treated me like I was some sort of freak and that I had to hide it from the world.

But Asher and his family are too supportive!

"We said we'd cut off ties with you didn't we?" Mother said, her eyes venomous like her tongue

"I remember," I replied. That's the reason that kept me away from so much in life. And the reason why I kept running away from Asher too.

"That means you won't be getting anything from us," Romano said.

"You're off the family registry," Father added.

"Oh! Fuck you guys!" Asher finally lost it. I told him to stay patient but I could see his blood boiling, "He's better off without you creeps."