Chapter 3

*Cara's POV*

I just didn't comprehend who that guy was and why he was treating me like this. What was it he wanted, sex? Because what else reason was there to be so kind to me?

If it was sex he wanted, then he was incredibly foolish for choosing me. Apparently, to Steven, I was ''off-limits'' to any and every guard. I was not complaining; the things they did to some girls were horrible. We were prizes to them, so they could do whatever they pleased to us. A guard would come into the room, pick a girl, and she would go. Sometimes they wouldn't even return for a few days. Sometimes, they wouldn't return at all.

I made two friends in this place; Gem and Ashley. They were twin sisters and had arrived when they were fourteen. They had always been one year older than me. Unfortunately, Gem disappeared around a month ago. Rumor is she tried to escape and was killed instantly. Another was that she escaped and got help, but that rumor died a long time ago since rescue obviously hadn't come at all.

Ashley was never the same again. She was always the hopeful one out of us, but now any ounce of hope she had vanished. It quickly died once her sister did.

"So what the hell happened to you." Ashley came and sat down next to me. We huddled close and whispered so no one could hear. "I mean, you look like actual shit, no offense."

I stared at my bruised arms that were turning black and blue."He tried again, and I just couldn't do it. I started to kick and scream and he got fed up and slapped me."

"What a pig!" Ashley nearly yelled.

"Shhh," I whispered. Looking around at the other girls. Some people you just couldn't trust, believe it or not. You would think that we all would band together and fight, but that just wasn't possible. The girls here would rat you out for more food, just for having those thoughts.

"Yeah, he would have continued hurting me but this guy came in. He was being promoted and needed his badge. He was the guy who escorted me in here. But the weird thing is I would feel this tingly sensation whenever touching him."

"Did it...feel good." Ashley's voice sounded weird for a second.

"Yes, that's not normal right?" No other person's touch had ever evoked a reaction in me like his did. When our fingers touched, it sent small shocks coursing through my body.

"Interesting." She said, smiling."What about his eyes?"

"They were these solid hazel color, but they looked green when he looked at me."I thought about them when Ashley snapped me out of it.

"Is he hot?" I shook my head in mock disdain at my best friend. Ashley was hilarious. We were captured by freaks for no reason, and she's worried about how hot one of them was. And I thought my hormones were raging.

As if on cue, the room got darker, or at least it did to me. Ashley's eyes drooped. I hoped she wouldn't sleep now.

I didn't know what time it is; no one ever did. All you knew was that if you got tired, you slept. The only time you stayed awake was to work or converse with friends.

Most of the surrounding girls slept. I started humming to myself, hoping that would cause me to sleep...It didn't. I usually had difficulties falling asleep. I was terrified by the nightmares that awaited me when I closed my eyes. It was crazy how I always forgot my dreams when I woke up, but my nightmares were as vivid as reality.

The next day we awoke to a list of chores posted on our walls and a spread of food. I'd never seen so much, and by the looks of it, neither had the girls. It was either a trap or the real thing. And damn, it looked too good to be true.