Chapter 30

1 month later(December 18)

*Cara's Pov*

Ashley's worried brown eyes stared into my own.The past month had been hell for me, I lost a bit of weight and my face was pale. It's been a month since I've seen or heard from Reid. One month that we would never get back. A month since I had last kissed him.

I had Ashley zip up my dress, it was a deep shade of blue.My hair had loose curls and fell down my shoulders. I didn't want to look at myself in the mirror again because no amount of makeup could hide what was really there. The look of someone who was missing her mate terribly.

I could survive without Reid, these past weeks proved so, but it also proved I could never be happy without him. It was painful to live without someone you're meant to be with. I was going through the motions and each day just seemed to drag on.

I swear to god, if I ever saw him again I wouldn't know what to do, I might kiss him, or punch him in the face, or collapse in tears. I didn't know what I was supposed to do, how I was supposed to feel again. I thought we were on the verge of making up and then he left with a broken promise of coming back.

"I'm ready Ash," I said softly. She turned to face me and she froze. She didn't have to say it, she could see the longing in my eyes. I was longing for the one thing I couldn't have; Reid.

"Um, I'll be back."She looked at me worriedly once more and then disappeared out of my room. As soon as the door clicked shut, a small tear rolled down my cheek. I wiped it away quickly, Ashley would kill me for ruining my makeup.

I grabbed my phone and checked to see any if I had any missed calls. I didn't have any, but I did have several text messages from Christian saying that he was on his way. He sent that text message fifteen minutes ago, so he was most likely outside right now.

Christian was the main reason I was going to the dance. We were already pretty close, but he really became a staple in my life this month. He was better at convincing me than Ashley and Lisa combined. He even offered to go as my date so that I wouldn't be by myself at the dance. I tried to protest at first but truth be told there would be no better person to be my date than my best friend.

Lisa came into the room holding up a camera and her clutch. "Come on Cara, everyone is waiting for you. We'll miss the dance entirely if we sit here waiting for you to stop moping." Her eyes leveled with mine.

I blinked a few times. Lisa's bluntness threw me off guard for a second. I rose and dusted off lint from the dress. I was ready to get this over with.I mustered up a fake smile and followed her outside.The sooner we got there, the sooner the night would pass.

***

The dance was held in the in an old refurbished concert hall. Just stepping foot into the hall had brightened my somber mood. The whole place was practically buzzing with people. Ashley and Lisa were basically bouncing around the place.

Kevin found us a table to sit at. Christian did not look too eager to sit with everyone so he went to sit with his friends and their dates. I rolled my eyes, what a gentlemen. But it's not like I could blame him, I know he wasn't friends with Reid's friends, but I don't think they would ever be purposely rude to him. Except for Max, I couldn't make any promises about him.

I went on line to get food with Lisa. The food was buffet styled with a fine selection of pastas, salads, meats and fish. We needed to eat quickly because the dancing would start in any minute.

Ashley and Lisa were basically jumping out of their seats, I forgot that this was a new experience for the both of them as well as I. The boys however didn't seem to care much about the whole event but that was because they were seniors, they had to go through this since they were freshman. It would be their last dance, with the exception of prom. They would be off to college, Ashley including. Only Lisa and I would remain, even Christian would be gone, if he didn't manage to flunk out of every one of his classes.