Chapter 50

It took two days to get back home. Two days one hotel. Reid, thank god, decided not to drive thirty hours straight. We spent one night in an actual bed and then woke up early the next morning for our last trek.
We arrived home around eight o clock at night.The first stop was of course my house.

I used the spare key under the doormat to get in. Reid didn't like the idea of me having a spare key under the doormat but it was necessary for times like these.

My hands trembled slightly as I turned the lock.I was excited to see my dad, I hadn't realized how much I missed him until I was coming back. But yet, I was a little more nervous of how he'd react to Reid being back in my life. It was no surprise that both men didn't get along.

I stepped foot in the house, everything seemed untouched from since last I left it. I called his name, trying to figure out if he was home or not. I could smell him but the house was quiet. I called again until I heard a commotion from somewhere upstairs.

"Cara?! Is that you?" He came down the stairs looking in shock. He grabbed me and pulled me in for a long hug. I hugged him back, surprised at how much I missed him in this short time.
He held me tightly almost as if he couldn't believe that it were really me.

"Hey dad." I said smiling.

He released me and got a good look at me. Suddenly his face contorted into one of mild reproach.He sniffed the air and I knew instantly what he was smelling; he was smelling my mate's scent on me. He just didn't realize that it was in fact my mate's scent.

He soon would.

"Where have you been? Why do you smell like that?What the hell happened to you for five days?" He looked at me for a proper answer, one that would justify everything, but my mouth dried up.

Reid, the answers to all questions, unfortunately chose this time to stroll through the door. As much as I loved my mate, he picked the wrong time to make an appearance.

My dad's reaction to Reid could not have gone more accordingly. His mouth dropped open and his eyes went back and forth between the two of us. I was secretly hitting myself; I knew Reid should have stayed in the car. I should have come in and explained everything first, then eased my mate in.

I was expecting the worse but my dad did something that surprised me, he went over to shake his hand. His intentions soon became clear in a moment.

"Haven't seen you in awhile Reid." He said cooly with an extended hand. Reid went to shake it but that was a mistake. My dad's fist came up so fast and uppercutted Reid.

Reid cursed and touched his face.My dad went for him again, but you were only allowed to hit Reid once, and that's if you were lucky. Reid stopped his next attack in midair and pushed my father back. He scowled and then turned away. For my sake, Reid wouldn't do anything to hurt the person I loved but my dad wasn't as noble. My dad went for him again.

I screamed for my dad to stop. He turned around suddenly, accusing eyes aimed on me. "Cara, tell me this is some joke. Tell me you aren't going back to him. Tell me you did not disappear for five days just to bring him back."

I didn't know how to properly explain myself. He was just so upset, there would be nothing I could say that would placate him. I tried instead for just flat out honesty. "Dad I did go for him. I'm so sorry you're upset."

That was not what he was looking for.

"Unbelievable!" He roared. Any semblance of calm in his voice was eradicated. "You mean to tell me you're back with the man who left you for a year? And you mated him?! What happens when he leaves again? You'll be devastated. And how could you leave without  telling me? I thought something happened to you again. I thought you were kidnapped or worse. Did you just happen to forget that you had a father?"