Chapter 41

How could so many things go wrong in one day? It was as if the planets aligned significantly on this day with exactly no other purpose than to cause absolute chaos.

5 hours till meet up

Melissa and I sat in the kitchen, neither of us wanted to get up. We both had things troubling us, For Melissa her troubles consisted of shallow things like shoes and whatnot but for me it was my mate.

I couldn't stop thinking of our meeting in five hours. I wondered what last trick Cara'd pull out of her bag. She was the most persuasive person I knew, she would make a wonderful Luna. God, why was it that almost every ounce of restraint I possessed disappeared when she walked into the room? I scratched my neck and wondered what I was going to do.

Silence seeped into the air. Melissa started to stir in her seat, perturbed by the silence. She knew how much I enjoyed to dwell in my own quiet. Still, she felt like easing some of the tension in the room. "So are you going to go?" She finally asked.Melissa had a nasty case of eaves dropping. I chewed my bagel slowly stalling for an answer.

I smirked."Has anyone ever told you not to eavesdrop?" I swallowed down my bagel with orange juice. Melissa rolled her eyes at me. Back when we used to see each other, Melissa would always get pissed when I wouldn't give her a straight answer. It was her biggest pet peeve.

"Many many times, but I'm serious, are you going to see her or not?"Melissa's sudden interest in my relationship made me uneasy. It bothered me how invested she was becoming.

"I don't know."Truthfully I didn't have an answer. I mean, I wasn't going to leave Cara stranded in the woods by herself. That would be too cruel and not to mention dangerous, so I'd be there, but I didn't know if I can tell her what she needed to hear. Being involved with me right now was not a good idea.

"You're so cryptic."She pouted. "Do you want to hear my idea?"

"No not really." I said candidly. I wasn't in the mood.

She didn't look affected by my dismissal. "Well I think it's too dangerous for her. Look what's happening to me with the wolves, do you want them to start lingering around her door too?"

My eyes narrowed at her suggestion and a low growl was emitted. I didn't need her to remind me of what I had already known. The thought of another wolf putting their paws on my mate was enough to send me into a snarling fit. There were days when my wolf wanted to rub his scent all over her, daring anyone foolish enough to try anything with her but then a more rational me knew that that would not be a smart idea.

I stood up and threw away my leftovers. Thinking about Cara was proving to be a distraction. I forgot to get the sample documents from the lab. The ones that might match the ones found outside Melissa's house. I grabbed my jacket from the floor and put it over my arm. "I'll see you later I have to run by the office for a second okay." I walked away leaving her alone in the kitchen.

"You're stalling making your decision you know." Her voice chimed from far away.

There was no decision to make; I had already made it.

4 hours till meet up

I decided to go to the office and have Paul give me the information there. Paul worked in the Pack Labs and specialized in observing and sampling DNA samples and the forensics involved in that process. It was a little more convenient then driving to the lab. Paul walked in ten minutes later. He was punctual as usual.

Despite being early, he looked nervous. He was sweating like he ran all the way from the lab to the office. He also refused to hold eye contact with me. My father usually dealt with Paul but from what I recalled he was never this nervous around us.