Chapter 17

*Ashley's Pov*

Once Reid left, I scrambled upstairs to get dressed. Was he kidding, thirty minutes? It takes thirty minutes just to decide what I'm going to wear, let alone do my hair and makeup and find something to wear.

Guys are so lucky in that aspect, literally all they needed to do was pick a top and blue jeans, and they had an outfit. They didn't have to worry about styling their hair, makeup, or any of the other things that plagued us women.

I went upstairs to go find a top to wear, knowing Matt he was probably going to take me to some little food shop, so I wouldn't have to dress up so much. I grabbed a hot pink lace tank top that complemented my naturally tanned skin. I paired it with super short shorts that hugged my butt. I grabbed sandals and some sunglasses.

I felt almost as if I was doing some sort of marathon, because it never took me this quickly to put on clothes. I still had nineteen minutes to spare, and I looked at my straight hair. I didn't want to put it in a ponytail because I didn't have the face for it.

I was sometimes jealous of Cara, she was so beautiful she could pull of any hairstyle or haircut she wanted. She had the face for it, whereas I could really only wear my hair down or in a high ponytail.

That settled it, high ponytail it is. It was pretty hot outside and the last thing I wanted to do was sweat when I went out with him. When I sweat, my hair turned greasy, and I didn't want greasy hair when I saw him.

I prayed things wouldn't be awkward when he came, I couldn't handle awkward situations well. My reaction would be just to start rambling on about any and everything under the sun. It was a bad habit of mine, same with biting my nails which I picked up from Cara.

I walked downstairs waiting for him to get here and he did pretty quickly. When the doorbell rang my heart sped up slightly, I was so nervous which was completely out of character for me. I never used to be the nervous one. That title was reserved for Cara. I was always more outspoken out of the two of us.

I told Cara's dad I would be back later. Honestly I loved Cara's dad, as much as I teased him to Cara, I found he was intelligent,  funny, and pretty easy going. He reminded me of my own dad in many ways.

I took some calming breaths and walked to the door. I froze in ny spot looking up and down making sure I looked okay before opening the door. Everything was okay, I double checked.

I opened the door expecting to be greeted with a warm expression mirroring mine and a hug but it never came. I looked up into his eyes, he didn't look anxious like I was, he looked...well he looked oddly calm. Feeling disappointed, I closed the door behind me.

"Hey." He said

My voice got stuck in my throat, and all I could choke out was a "hey" in response. I scratched my shoulder waiting for him to say something else. I balanced back and forth on my toes before he finally spoke up.

"Hey, can you come with me, we need to talk?" He asked but it didn't sound like a question.

"Well I didn't get dressed up for nothing." I muttered. He actually emitted a low chuckle. I started walking behind him to his car. He respectfully opened car door for me and walked around the front. I put my seatbelt on."Where are we going?" I asked hoping to get some sort of response from him.

"We're going to get something to eat." He responded flatly.

It appeared we were stuck on one sentence responses. "I hope I'm dressed properly." I said hoping he wasn't going to take me somewhere fancy.

He took his eyes off the road for a quick second to stare at me. "You're fine."

"Such a heartfelt response...,"I rolled my eyes.