Chapter 38

*Part 2*(Rejecting my Mate)
*Cara Pov*
The next morning and several after were spent in unbearable and agonized pain. I waited patiently at my phone hoping, praying he would text me or talk to me, explain what I did wrong or why he broke up with me. I tried to "move on" but it was useless, my mate consumed my every thoughts making it impossible to concentrate or focus on nothing else. I missed staring into his green hazel eyes or feeling safety and security when his muscled forearms wrapped themselves around me.

I know I told Ashley I would try to get over him but that was impossible. I was suffering without him. When he walked past me in the hall without his usual grin or smirk,I could feel my eyes tear up. The study hall and gyms were torture, my eyes searched to find his at all times but he so blatantly ignored them. Could he not feel what I felt, or was that too lost?

I counted every step I took to my locker. I needed to constantly keep my mind busy so it wouldn't find comfort in agonizing over him. Forty two steps to my locker, eighty nine to his. I opened up my locker and cringed when a photo of the two of us fell onto the floor. I held it up and examined it so closely. We were sitting together at a bonfire, his arm was around me and he was whispering something in my ear. God I wish I remembered what, all I know that I was blushing and looking away. I wished I could go back to that night and turn to him, tell him how much I loved him. Maybe things would have gone differently.

I put that photo back up in the same position knowing that when I opened my locker again to go home it would fall down again and re torture me with past memories. Every week I replaced the photo with another, another memory of the love we had for each other, another reminder that I couldn't move on. Not yet, maybe not ever.

I walked twenty three steps so I could see his locker more clearly. I didn't want to get too close in case he was there. He was. His arm was around Melissa Andrews and he was recounting some kind of story to her.  She was laughing and hitting him with her free hand. Revulsion stirred inside me and I turned away.

I walked back to my locker, wiping away bitter tears as they fell down my cheek.

It had only been a few days since our breakup, and he had already moved on. How could he have? He fought so hard to be with me, he almost died to keep me safe. What the hell happened to make him change his mind. I kept walking with my head down until I bumped into a tall figure.

"Hey. Cara."Christian's arms straightened my swaying figure. I looked at his chest because I couldn't bear to see the pity in his eyes. I had been avoiding him too ever since the day he picked me up in the park. He couldn't help me and pitying me wasn't helping either. I took a deep breath."Hey." I replied back.I couldn't muster up a smile for his sake. I couldn't even look up at him.

Christian touched my chin and tipped it up so he could get a good luck at me. I flinched, Reid often times did that to me when he was trying to figure out what was wrong "You were crying." He noticed. "Over Reid?"

I nodded. The lines on Christians forehead creased in sadness and understanding. "I can't help it Christian. I can't stop thinking about him." I put my hands on my face. "I walked by his locker, and he was hugging Melissa."

"Ahh yes his old fling. Not surprised they are back to fooling around."

I stared at him with teary eyes. "She was basically hanging off of him and he was letting her." Christian's pitying eyes became more pronounced, more focused at me.

The bell rang signaling the progression into next period. Christian didn't want to leave me alone but I ushered him away. I could walk to my next classes without his help. He promised to meet me back at my locker for lunch.When lunch time approached I opened my locker to put away my books. The picture fell out again. Before I could grab it, a manicured hand reached out and snatched it up.