It's not just about us Mephiles...

It's been weeks and sonic still couldn't understand why Mephiles was helping him, for the last couple of weeks Mephiles had been feeding and nursing sonic back to health, as well as helping him get used to he new form. Although what sonic didn't realise is that every piece of help Mephiles gave him, was all part of his revenge on shadow.

For ages now Mephiles has been watching shadow, trying to form a revenge plan but the brooding hedgehog was never vulnerable...except for when he was with the blue one. Mephiles is one half of the sun god so an emotion such as "love" has always been foreign to him, but he did get a warm feeling whenever sonic would smile at him (sonic being sonic meaning always) but this was just joy he was getting knowing that if sonic liked him that he would be inclined to stay for longer, which meant more suffering for the black hedgehog, Mephiles was simply enjoying the pain the black one would be feeling, (well, that's what he thought anyways)

Sonic on the other hand, although knowing his friends are probably devastated right now, wasn't planning on leaving the cave anytime soon. 

The others probably wouldn't want to see him anyway, and after what he'd done, he didn't think he wouldn't be able to face them anyway, especially not shadow, oh god, he could NEVER let shadow see him like this! No! It would be better for all of them to just forget he ever existed in the first place then to see the kind of monster he had become, besides, for him to leave he would have to fly back up the pit, and he would rather be tortured for eternity then see what kind of damage he had caused. There wasn't any need to leave the cave anyway, Mephiles was pretty nice company and there was plenty of food and water, if he ever needed furniture or entertainment Mephiles would just create it out of thin air, plus there was lot of room to run, he had everything he needed... and yet he couldn't sleep...

Every night he would try but the only way he could make himself sleep was to knock himself out. Mephiles was starting to get worried, if sonic couldn't sleep then his health would decline, "are you sure there isn't anything that may help you sleep?" Sonic was lying back down on the crystal bed again as Mephiles sat next to him, "no" sonic shook his head, "and even if there was, I don't want to have another nightmare" you see on the rare occasions that Sonic could sleep, he was haunted by nightmares of fire and blood, of his friends screaming in terror and fear, but worse of all, in every nightmare sonic was always the cause of their deaths, "how could you do it?" Mephiles was confused by the question, "do what?" Sonic sat up again, "when you killed me..."

Mephiles was shocked, of course he had been waiting for when sonic would bring that up but the question "how" never crossed his mind, "you and shadow... you've both taken lives before... how can you bring yourself to do something like that?..." Mephiles inwardly scowled a little at the mention of the other hedgehog but calmed himself down, "it may be painful but death is simply moving into another realm" Mephiles shrugged, "it's not that bad" sonic looked at him in horror,💭 had I said something wrong?💭 "but what about their loved ones?!" Mephiles looked at sonic in confusion, "what about their loved ones?" Sonic sighed, "with every man you kill, some poor woman becomes a single mother, but if you kill her aswell, a sad little child becomes an orphan, if you kill the kid, another child will be devastated by the lost of their friend, and so on and so on" sonic looked to the side, "someone who may deserve to die's death will always cause sadness to someone who doesn't"

Mephiles eyes widened, he had never thought of  it that way before... "then what of your friends? Wouldn't they be sad right now?" Mephiles knew this question might ruin his plan but if this was Sonic's way of thinking then how could he justify staying in this cave for so long? Sonic closed his eyes...

"It's better for them to think I'm dead then to see me become a monster," sonic opened his eyes and looked at Mephiles, "it's better to see a loved one go then to see them in misery..."

"Death effects more than the victim, and torture is always worse..."