Chapter Seven

KENNEDY

I feel like a prick as I watch Isaiah walk away from me with a hurt look on his face. I've succeeded in avoiding him all week but at the cost of hurting his feelings. I didn't know he was this invested in being my friend, I just thought that he was being nice to me on day one because that's who he is as a person. But as I watch him disappear into the boys locker room, I can't help but berate myself for being so horrible to him.

The boys have been so kind to me, taking me in and letting me sit at their table during lunch. Wesley is the reason for all of it but even if I don't want anything to do with Isaiah, I could have at least tried to be civil around him. I should have found a better way to let him down easy without hurting his feelings. Now he probably hates me and for some reason that doesn't sit right with me.

A sad sigh escapes my lips but I table those feelings for later. I knock on the coaches office and enter, finding Wesley lying down on the small sofa in the office with Baron on a chair next to him. He is so tall, only his upper body is on the seat with the rest of him dangling over the edge.

I am closest to Wesley because I am tutoring him but I realize that we've slowly become friends. When I saw him get hurt today, I was so worried about him but I'm glad to see that he's doing okay.

"Come to give me the kiss of life princess?" Wesley teases.

"You wish you dork. I'm here to make sure that you didn't get a concussion or anything. I am invested in that brain of yours." I reply with a cheeky smile.

"You wound me princess and here I thought, you liked me for my body." Wesley moans in protest clutching his heart as if he's in pain.

I burst out laughing at his theatrics. Wesley is the jokester of the three best friends, Baron is the smart one and Isaiah, well I am yet to figure him out. I've not made any effort to get to know him but I do know that he acts as mediator between Baron and Wesley. The two are always fighting but I know that it comes from a place of love.

"I am going home. Will you boys be okay?" I ask them.

"Yeah, we're waiting for Isaiah so I can take Wes home." Baron answers.

"Okay, you guys take care. I will see you on Monday. Oh and Wes..."

"Yes princess."

"Don't go breaking any more bones."

"Your wish is my command Your Highness." He nods with a grin.

I give them one last wave and exit the office. My plan is to go home and sleep till Monday but then my phone rings just as I'm getting the books I'll need from my locker.

"Astrid."

"Kenny." She cheers excitedly. "Where are you?"

"Just about to leave school." I reply.

"Good, wait for me. I'm on my way to pick you up."

"What?"

"I'm five minutes away. I'll meet you at the school gate." She answers and hangs up.

I stare at my phone in shock wondering what's up with her. She sounds chirpy so she's not coming to pick me up because something bad happened. Which leaves the question as to why she's driven all the way from Manhattan to The Bronx just to pick me up from school? She could have just asked me to meet her in Manhattan.

I grab my books and leave the school building grateful that nobody is around to see me being picked up by my sister. If she's driving her car then she's using her G-wagon which is very posh. I cannot be seen getting into such an expensive car, it will raise too many questions that I am not ready to answer.