Chapter Thirty

ISAIAH

Christmas morning at the Carter household starts with mass. What better way to celebrate the birth of Jesus than in church with the rest of the congregation. That's what my mom always says because Christmas is her favorite holiday. Waking up at six am in the morning to go to church isn't how I would like to spend my Christmas mornings but after seventeen years of this, I am used to it. It's also better to maintain the peace with mom, plus as a big brother I also have to set a good example for Cairo. If he sees me reluctant to go to church, then he'll follow the same path. I have to be enthusiastic about it so he'll have an easier time.

We do Christmas mass a little differently though because instead of going into our usual church in the city, we go back to our old church in The Bronx. According to mom, moving up in life it doesn't mean forgetting where we came from. I have no problem with that because I actually love my old neighborhood.

"Khalil, help your brother out of his car seat." Mom requests once we stop in front of the church.

"Yes mom." I nod and turn to Cairo. "C'mon you little creature, time for church."

"I am not a creature." Cairo protests.

"Yes you are."

"Nuh-uh."

"Yuh-huh."

"No."

"Yes."

"Nope."

"Yup."

"Boys enough." Mom demands forcing us to end our little feud.

Cairo sticks his tongue out at me as if he has won and I do the same as I pull him out of his car seat.

"Remind me who is supposed to be the five-year-old?" Mom asks as she watches us goof around.

I laugh as I set Cairo down but he starts fussing lifting his hands to be picked up. I can never resist it when he makes grabby hands at me so I pick him up once again following mom and Parker into the church.

"I expect you both to be on your best behavior." Mom whispers as we walk up the steps to the entrance.

"Yes ma'am." We chorus.

The church is decorated beautifully in Christmas lights, a huge tree at the front and a whole Jesus in a manger set up complete with Mary, Joseph, sheep, shepherds and the wise men. We make it just in time before mass starts and we make our way to an empty bench.

I see Baron seated with his mom and sister but his back is turned to me so I'll have to wait until mass is over to say hello. Wesley and his family are here as well and so are a few other familiar faces from school.

Mass starts promptly and I am grateful that the priest keeps it short because Cairo isn't the kind to sit idly for long periods of time. The presentations with all the Christmas carols keep him pretty entertained but it doesn't last long. As soon as we give our offering Cairo and I walk out leaving mom and Parker behind to join us later.

"You hungry bud?" I ask him as we walk to the car.

"Yes."

"What do you want?"

"Cookies." He replies excitedly.

I grab him a couple of cookies and a juice box from the snack bag my mom always has prepped for him.

"Thank you." He says with a mouthful of cookies.

"You're welcome kiddo." I chuckle knowing he will be a sticky mess in a few minutes but not caring enough to do anything about it.