Chapter Forty Four

KENNEDY

The best thing about surviving senior year is that we get rewarded with one epic night to end our whole high school experience, Prom Night. The junior prom at Oakland was spectacular and even though I didn't have a date, I still managed to have fun. But now at Pine View, I have a boyfriend who asked me to be his date with the most thoughtful Promposal and a great group of friends that we are going to have so much fun with.

All that's left is for me to buy my dress and I'm good to go. Me being the procrastinator that I am waited until the day of to buy my dress but I am not worried. Astrid is taking the day off work to help me go dress shopping and after we're done we'll go by the salon to get my hair, nails and make up done in time for Isaiah to pick me up.

The door bells rings startling me from my Pinterest search of dress ideas and I nearly drop my phone.

"Kenny can you get the door please." Astrid yells from across the house.

"Are you expecting someone?" I ask.

"Yes, thought we could use an extra pair of eyes today." She replies.

I had no idea she invited someone else for our shopping spree but I shrug it off and get off the couch to go open the door. They say the more the merrier, right?

The doorbell rings again just as I get to the door. I swing it open to reveal the last person I expected to see this morning.

"Hello Kennedy."

"Mom? What are you doing here?"

Before she can reply Astrid speaks up behind me. "I invited her."

I turn to her with a confused face. "Why?"

"You two have been fitting long enough and apparently I am the only reasonable one in the family, at least concerning this, so don't give me that look Kenny." She scolds seeing the scowl on my face. "You know I love you and I will always have your back but this fight with mom and dad has gone of long enough. You all love each other so we are going to fix this and what better way to start than a girl's day."

As much as I hate admitting it, Astrid is right. My parents and I have been fighting for too long and even though we have been acting civilized towards each other since the accident, things are still not fully okay between us. I have missed them and if Astrid thinks that this is the right move than I will take it.

"I ..."

"There is no getting out of this so no ifs or buts from you." Astrid demands cutting me off.

"I was just going to say I hope you brought your Amex." I say with a smile turning to our mother.

She smiles and nods. "Even better, I brought your dad's."

"Perfect." I grin stepping aside to let her in.

Astrid smiles at me happy that I have agreed to let bygones be bygones so we can move on. There is still a lot to talk about and hash out but for now we start with a shopping spree courtesy of my dad's black card.

Half an hour later we are out of the house and onto the side of Manhattan that mother calls her second home. For a while I had forgotten how much fun my mom can be. Shopping with her was always fun and today is reminding me of how much I'd missed partaking on such activities with her.

"You look perfect darling I think we've found it." Mom declares as I walk out of the dressing room.

We've been to a dozen stores already and I've tried on so many dresses with her dismissing each and every one until this one.