Chapter Twenty Seven

KENNEDY

Spending Thanksgiving weekend with Astrid turned out to be more fun than I anticipated. I was in a low mood all week listening to my friends and classmates talk about their Thanksgiving plans. They were looking forward to seeing family members from across the country and enjoying a home cooked feast as they expressed what they were grateful for. My family has never been big on holidays and it never bothered me until I became friends with people who actually have functional families.

My friends invited me to spend Thanksgiving with them but I turned them down. I didn't want to be the new kid at the table with a messed up family feeling awkward the whole time or have them feeling sorry for me whilst going out of their way to make sure I was okay.

When Astrid picked me up from school on Tuesday with a promise of a fun filled weekend I couldn't be happier. She went all out to give me the best Thanksgiving I've had in a while. She even made us a turkey, it was small since it was just the two of us but it was great nonetheless.

My parents were being honoured at some fancy event for their contribution to society and couldn't be bothered to spend time with us. I didn't want to go and they didn't invite us so Astrid and I made a whole day of it. It's not like we missed out on much. We are always better off without them anyway.

Now it's the day after and my weekend is just about to get better.

"Kenny you've been in there for an hour. What are you washing?" Astrid asks knocking on the glass shower.

I can't see her clearly because of all the fog but I can make out her silhouette.

"I'm shaving." I yell back over the noise of running water.

"It's your first date, I don't think it'll go that far. Unless you haven't told me everything." She inquires.

"I meant my legs you weirdo." I retort.

"Oh, but still you guys haven't done anything yet right?"

"Go away." I demand embarrassed.

"Kenny?" She asks getting agitated knocking on the glass.

"We haven't even kissed, sex is out of the question." I grit out.

"Oh good, that's a relief. I'm too young to be an auntie." She audibly sighs.

"Go away!"

"Sheesh fine but hurry up, he'll be here soon and I still have to do your hair and make up." She insists.

I don't bother replying and get back to shaving my legs. I'm wearing a dress tonight for my first date with Isaiah and I need them to be smooth as silk.

Yes! Isaiah and I are finally going out for our first date. Three months after our first meeting by my locker and lots of hidden feelings later here we are. When he asked me during our senior lock-in night, I was elated beyond words. It's been a long time coming and finally its happening. That night was magical in its own way without him asking me out and that made it even better. I like him so much I'm bursting with my feelings for him. If everything goes right tonight, I will finally be able to act upon my feelings.

I finish shaving every inch of my body even though he'll only see select parts and leave the bathroom. Astrid is waiting in her bedroom with a blowdrier and flat iron in hand. I like my curls but tonight I want them tamed and away from my face.

"Took you long enough." She smirks once she sees me.

I don't bother replying and just sit down on her dressing table. She doesn't waste a moment and immediately gets to work.