Chapter Forty

KENNEDY

Valentine's day or more accurately, Saint Valentine's day, is a day celebrated by sending cards and tokens of love to our beloveds.

After a weird couple of weeks with everything going on in our lives from meeting the parents to Isaiah's father dying in prison, I believe that a day like today will be good. Today we'll get to celebrate us and add the little bit of joy that has been lacking in our lives.

"You are looking extra chipper this morning." Glynn comments as he serves me breakfast.

"That is because I am. It's Valentine's day." I reply the smile on my face only getting wider.

Glynn chuckles, "Ah, but of course, your first Valentine's day in a relationship."

"Yes." I beam looking forward to seeing Isaiah.

I know he is going to go all out today like he always does and even though on Valentine's girls get more out of it than boys do, I have something very special for him as well.

"Well I hope you two youngsters have a wonderful day."

"We will."

Glynn is right, today is my first ever Valentine's day being in a relationship and even though I don't have much experience with this, I believe I will knock it out of the park with what I have in mind for Isaiah.

When my phone pings with a text alerting me of his arrival as has been our norm all semester I quickly get up and push my half eaten breakfast plate aside. I grab my phone, tote bag and Isaiah's gift before rushing out of the kitchen.

"Bye Glynn." I yell halfway to the door.

All I hear is his laughter echoing behind me. He is already used to my excitement when it comes to anything that involves my boyfriend. Plus, now that we have my parents' approval I feel more secure in our relationship than ever. The meeting with my parents went surprisingly well, even though it was touch and go there for a moment. But they approve of our relationship and that is all that matters to me.

When I get to the gate Isaiah is waiting for me leaning against the passenger side door with a huge smile on his face like he always is each morning. He looks good, like he always does and when I get close enough to get a whiff of his scent it's like I'm in heaven because he smells good too.

"Happy Valentine's day Berry." He whispers wrapping his left arm around my waist and pulling me closer.

"Happy Valentine's day Iz." I reply pulling his head down for a kiss that leaves me feeling a little bit lightheaded.

Those are the best kinds of kisses. If I could kiss this boy all day, then I happily would but unfortunately we have other responsibilities like school and work. We pull apart just before it can turn into a full blown make out session. He kisses my forehead and lets me go once he is sure I can stand on my own two legs without stumbling because he knows of the effect his kisses have on me.

"For you." He says pulling a huge bouquet of red roses from behind his back.

"Wow, that is a lot of roses." I exclaim taking it from him.

Isaiah has gifted me a lot of bouquets ever since we started dating but never one this big. Plus, he has never given me roses before, it's always hydrangeas or sunflowers, my second favorite type of flowers.

"It's eighty-two stems, one for each day we've been dating." He explains and my heart swells with love for this wonderful human being who is all mine.

"Awe, that's so sweet, thank you but you shouldn't have, a normal bouquet would have sufficed." I reply feeling how heavy it is.