Chapter Twenty One

KENNEDY

Having a weekend off from work meant lounging in my room all day in my pajamas doing my favorite thing — drawing. I'd never heard of an ice cream parlour running out of ice-cream until I started working in one. There was a mix up with our order so we didn't have any new stock come in. Archer decided to take the opportunity to do some repairs on the shop and we all got the weekend off.

At least I know I'm off, Isaiah is probably working his butt off at his second job or at practice. The boy doesn't know when to stop and take a break but if that's what works for him then who am I to judge.

I smile in contentment when I see his grinning face staring back at me from the piece I'm sketching. I am so used to drawing Isaiah that I can do it from pure memory. He doesn't even have to be in the room for me to draw the perfect picture of his handsome face. Maybe I am a little obsessed but I know it's my way of coping after we friendzoned each other. It's been harder than I thought especially when he's the most perfect guy out there inside and out but I am doing better at being his friend.

The current piece I'm working on is a goofy selfie he sent me of himself and Ruby on their morning run earlier in the day. He's all sweaty with a huge grin on his face, his eyes alight with pure joy as he stares at the camera. Ruby is standing on his shoulder panting with her mouth hanging open, some of her saliva dripping onto his hoodie. He sends me random photos of him and Ruby or just Ruby a lot, not that I am complaining. I had to create a special folder just for all the pictures he sends me. More than ever he makes me wish to have a pet of my own but my parents would never allow that to happen.

At least I have my stuffed animals, yes I am an eighteen year old who still likes stuffed animals, sue me. They are not the real thing but I love them all the same. Like the bear I bought when my friends and I visited the zoo. It was one of the best days I've had all year. It was perfect, from them surprising me with stickers for my locker to visiting all those amazing places. I even had fun watching a baseball game yet I'm not a fan of sports. Hanging out with everyone that day showed me that I truly belong at Pine View. It didn't seem like so at first but they've made me feel welcome from day one and that I am exactly where I need to be. I'm not even mad at my parents for forcing me to go there anymore because it all worked out for the best.

My bedroom door slams open and I look up from my desk with a frown that quickly turns upside down.

"Honey I'm home!" The intruder declares with a singsong voice.

"Astrid!!!" I scream as I scramble to get off my chair.

I get across the room in one second and jump into her open arms.

"Miss me?" She chuckles hugging me back.

I hold onto her for a few moments longer before I pull back. "Of course I missed you. When did you get back?"

"Last night and these are for you." She smiles handing me a bouquet of flowers and a couple of gift bags.

"Thank you." I smile kissing her cheek.

"You're welcome."

"I really did miss you. You've been gone so long, tell me all about your trip in DC." I demand softly.

"Only if you promise to catch me up on what I've missed." She replies.

"Deal." I grin as we settle on top of my bed.

While Astrid tells me all about her trip, I open the presents that she's brought me. There's clothes, shoes, jewelry, new tote bags and of course brand new brushes and an assorted paint set. I am the luckiest small sister in the world.