Chapter Twenty Six

ISAIAH

Asking Kennedy out on a date is turning out to be more of a hustle than I imagined. First she got sick and I went to visit her. I didn't intend to ask her out that day when she was so vulnerable but the moment felt right. She was giving me all the right signals and just as I was about to her parents came home and it was clear from the go that they did not like me. Maybe it's because I'm black or because I had Ruby with me and they don't like animals in their home. Whatever it was, they couldn't get rid of me fast enough. I left peacefully to avoid causing Kennedy any more strain than she was already in because of her illness.

Then we travelled for an away game and I haven't seen her all week. We were in constant communication calling and texting the whole time but it's not the same as when we are in person. We haven't had the chance to properly talk about that day or discuss the way forward with our relationship.

Nothing seems to be going right but I am not letting any of that deter me because I finally have my chance. Senior lock-in night. It happens every year, a week before Thanksgiving. All seniors gather at the school for a night of fun, food, games and great music. It's like a massive sleepover, a last supper kinda thing, a meal shared between all seniors. Each student signs up for a dish that they are going to bring and the school provides the drinks plus the space. Then we all sit down together share the meal, play lots of games, listen to music, dance the night away and finally sleep in the gymnasium.

We obviously have chaperones but they don't really bother us knowing that teenagers will be teenagers.

Our theme for this year is Casino Night but instead of dressing all fancy, we are doing it in our pajamas which I think is so much better. I'll leave the tux wearing for prom night and graduation.

The cafeteria is already abuzz with activity when I enter carrying the dish I registered to bring. I walk up to Miss June who is signing in all the food to make sure each student does their part. She checks me in and just as I'm about to set it down with the rest I am attacked from behind. I nearly topple over but I manage to catch myself before I spill my food.

"Boys no playing around the food?" Miss June scolds.

"Sorry Miss June." Wesley the culprit apologizes.

I scowl at him and set the food down.

"Is that Mama Khalil's famous casserole?" He asks peeping over my shoulder at the covered bowl.

"Nope, it's spaghetti and hot dogs made by yours truly." I reply.

A frown mars his face at my reply. "Shucks, I was really looking forward to your moms casserole."

"She's not in New York so she couldn't make it, sorry dude." I console.

Mom left for a conference before I came back from my away game so I haven't seen her in a couple of days. She felt bad not being around to help me cook the meal I was bringing but I assured her that it was okay. I already know how to cook thanks to her so I had things handled.

"That's fine, you're not so terrible in the kitchen so you'll have to do." Wesley relents.

"I'll have you know that I'm great at it." I declare.

"Sure you are." He mocks. "Anyway where's Kennedy?" He inquires looking around.

"In my back pocket." I answer sarcastically.

"Where? I can't see her." He says looking around until my words register in his brain and he frowns. "You are a douche."

I laugh ducking away before he can hit me. "We're not glued to the hip you know." I remind him.