Chapter Thirty Two

ISAIAH

Going back to school after Christmas break turns out to be more exciting than I anticipated. For some reason I woke up with an extra spring in my step and managed to clock in six hours of sleep leaving me more rejuvenated than I have been in a long time. It's not common for me to sleep more than four hours so I am going to ride this high for as long as I can and hope it lasts a while.

Ruby nips at my heels as we walk downstairs for breakfast. Our morning run this morning was short because I overslept but Ruby doesn't seem to mind. When we get to the kitchen I pour her some water and her food before joining the rest of the family in the dining room.

"Good morning family." I greet excitedly kissing my mom's cheek before settling down next to her.

"Morning darling. You are in a good mood this morning." Mom comments.

"That I am." I reply with a smile as I steal a piece of bacon away from Cairo's plate.

He pouts at me so I respond by sticking my tongue out at him but before he can throw a tantrum I replace it.

"Are you looking forward to your last semester in high school?" Parker asks me.

"Yes I am. I am a little worried about the championships coming up but we have come so far and worked too hard so it's going to be epic." I answer.

"You are going to do great darling and we will be right there cheering you on." Mom encourages.

"Thanks mom."

"Itineraries of the week?" Mom asks and I don't have anything coming up but Parker and Cairo do so all I have to do is sit and listen.

"That reminds me. Oak's birthday is coming up soon. What do you want the theme to be this year?" Mom asks Cairo moments later.

The little man looks lost in thought for a moment as he ponders what he wants his birthday to be about. Last year it was a spider man theme so he might want the same since he is still obsessed with his favorite superhero.

"Transformers." He declares excitedly.

"Wow, did not see that one coming but transformers it is." Mom concurs.

"Yay!" Cairo cheers out loud.

I give him a high five as my mind starts running a thousand miles a minute as I think of how to make Cairo's sixth birthday a day he will never forget. Now that I know what theme he wants then I know what to work with and I have a couple of awesome friends I can recruit into helping me.

"Maybe you can bring Kennedy that day so we can meet her." Mom suggests as we conclude breakfast.

At the mention of my girlfriend my heart warms up and I find myself smiling. "Maybe."

I still haven't told her about my family yet but I will real soon and maybe then extend the invitation.

"Are you protecting her from us or vice versa?" Mom asks.

"Neither, there's just a lot of uncharted territory between us. We are each other's firsts so I don't want us to rush into anything until we are sure." I answer.

"You are already in love with her, what more is there to figure out?" Mom inquires.

"A lot, you have no idea." I say pushing my chair back so I can leave the table before mom asks questions that will force me to lie to her.

We have a very open relationship but there are some things I do not tell her and I want to keep it that way to keep her from worrying too much about me.