Chapter Thirty Nine

ISAIAH

Officially meeting Kennedy's parents as her boyfriend has got to be one of the scariest things I will ever have to go through. After our first encounter didn't go so well I have been scared of seeing them again but now I cannot avoid it anymore. Kennedy already met my family as my girlfriend so I think it's only fair I do the same with hers. And besides it's already too late to back out because Kennedy already confirmed that it's happening thus why I am rushing home in the middle of my shift to shower and change.

The three bouquets of flowers on my back seat, one for each Foster lady, capture my attention and I feel like they are not enough. Maybe I should have thought of something else but my mom taught me that you can never go wrong with flowers. I just hope that tonight of all nights, her teachings will pay off.

When I get home I am surprised to see mom's car and her security detail parked out front. It's too early for her to be home so all manner of questions rush through my mind as to why she is here. I park my car out front since I will be leaving soon and rush into the house.

Mom and Parker are in the kitchen talking in hushed tones which immediately halt the second I walk in making me even more suspicious.

"Mom? Dad? What's going on?" I ask them getting worried.

"Khalil? What are you doing home so early?" Mom asks looking surprised to see me.

"I could ask you the same mom." I retort.

She looks at Parker and all he does is squeeze her shoulder in response. They both turn to me and my stomach drops to my stomach.

"Parker thought Cairo was sick and he panicked so I came home." Mom explains just as Cairo zooms by playing with one of his remote controlled cars.

"He looks fine to me." I reply feeling like there is another reason.

"Yes that's because it was all a false alarm." Mom adds but she's avoiding meeting my eyes.

I want to press matters but I do not want to be late to my prior engagement. "Good, I'm glad. Got to go."

Without another word to either of them I take the stairs two at a time and rush up to my room. Ruby's head perks up from her dog bed but before she can rush to me for my usual attention, I enter the bathroom and lock the door before she can follow me in. I hear her whine and scratch at the door but she will have to wait until I come back from the Fosters to give her all the loving that she wants.

"Sorry Ruby, later. I promise." I rush out as I leave the bathroom twenty minutes later with only a towel wrapped around my waist to raid my closet for something appropriate to wear.

Kennedy said something business casual is okay but knowing who her mom is that won't be enough. I decide to do a black suit but forego the tie just to be safe. Tonight is all about impressing her parents, especially her mom and jeans just won't do. For good luck I go the sneakers way since I hate loafers and instead wear the white Air Force sneakers Kennedy gifted me on Christmas. They match the white shirt that I am wearing.

My hair poses the biggest problem for me but after twenty minutes in front of my bathroom mirror I manage to tame my curls into finger coils. After making sure I look good, I grab my wallet, phone, car keys and Mr. Fosters gift before I leave my bedroom.

Just as I am passing my parent's bedroom I hear them talking once again in whispered tones. I would have left them be but the mention of my name captures my attention. I check the time and see that if I do not leave now I will be late but curiosity gets the better of me so instead I lean against the door listening for more.