Chapter Forty One

ISAIAH

Years of waking up in the morning drenched in sweat, with a skyrocketing heartbeat and a panic filled heart has conditioned my brain to loathe each sunrise. When you are as traumatized as I am, you want the days longer, the nights shorter and the morning nonexistent.

Recently though, a new development has led me to look forward to each and every single moment of my day. The mornings are especially elating to look forward to because of one very special human being. Kennedy being a part of my everyday life has been the healing remedy I didn't know I needed until she became ingrained in each and every part of my life starting with waking up next to her.

"Good morning Berry." I whisper when she blinks her eyes open to find me staring at her.

It used to creep her out the first few days when she'd wake up to find me staring at her but I couldn't help myself. Now she is used to it and I can only hope she finds it endearing because it's one of my favorite parts of waking up with her next to me.

"Morning baby." She mumbles sweeping a few unruly tendrils that have escaped her pigtails off her face.

"I love it when you call me that." I reply with a smile.

"I know your eyes always twinkle when I do." She replies.

"They do?"

"Yes." She nods.

I had no idea she had caught onto that but oh well, I love feeling treasured by someone who is not related to me by blood.

It means she made the conscious decision to love me and I do not take that for granted.

"Wanna join us today?" I ask her when I hear Ruby's paws paddling our way meaning she is awake too and ready for our morning run.

Kennedy scowls at me making me chuckle. "It's never going to happen so you might as well stop asking."

I know that she hates running or anything that has to do with exercise but I always ask her if she wants to join me and I am always met with point blank rejection. Even though with Kennedy here I am better I still can't sleep more than four hours so I never miss my morning runs with my other special girl.

"See you in an hour then." I reply kissing her cheek before tossing the covers away and getting out of bed.

Ruby is right on cue waiting for me by the door as I get changed. Kennedy's soft breathing lets me know that she has gone back to sleep even though I know she will be awake once more by the time I get back. I dim the lights just in case she doesn't get up before Ruby and I leave sleeping beauty to get a few more minutes' rest.

As soon as the morning air hits my face, my lungs expand as I begin my stretches with Ruby running circles around me. Thoughts of Kennedy invade my mind which is nothing new as I am always thinking about her except when I am not which is rare.

She has been staying with us ever since she had a huge fight with her parents a few weeks ago. When she showed up in my room a few hours after I'd dropped her off at home with a suitcase, I'd panicked thinking the worst. But then she explained what happened and I calmed down a bit but still couldn't help but worry about her. Kennedy has never had a healthy relationship with her parents but this is worse than it has ever been.

My folks are happy to help and I am glad she chose my family to be her refuge but I know this rift with her parents has to be fixed. She needs her parents because Yale is not cheap and they also need their daughter in their lives. Astrid is still in DC and offered Kennedy the keys to her apartment but I do not want her living there all alone so until she fixes things with her parents she will be staying with us. For the moment I will enjoy having the most beautiful roommate as I hope everything works out in a way that leaves everyone happy.