Chapter Nine

KENNEDY

"Good morning boss." I greet cheerfully waving at Archer as I walk into Frosty Dream fifteen minutes before my shift is supposed to start.

I'm a morning person. Sue me. And I'm feeling even better now that I have something like a job to look forward to outside of my mundane life.

"Morning Kennedy. Get home alright last night?" He asks.

Archer was worried about me getting home safely since it was past ten when we closed but I took the bus and was home in ten minutes.

"Yes I did."

"Good, help me bring out the ice-cream from the freezer." He requests me.

"On it." I answer jumping into action.

I say hello to Oscar on my way to the back room and manage to snag a waffle. Isaiah was not lying when he said Oscar makes the best waffles in the state. They are delicious. I might have to watch my weight now that I'm working around all this sugary goodness.

My hair is already up in a tight bun so all I need to do is put my bag away in my locker and put on my apron.

I discover that Isaiah isn't here yet and I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. I am aware he's working today so I know he's coming.

Why I am so invested in him all of a sudden?

Five days ago I wanted nothing to do with him and now I cannot wait to see him. Maybe he's growing on me and I find myself not hating the idea of us becoming friends.

The ice-cream tubs are heavy so unlike Isaiah who could handle three at a time I only manage one. By the time I'm done hauling all of them from the back I've broken into a sweat but I'll make up for it when I get my two free scoops later.

I'm about to begin mopping when Isaiah walks in looking like a model on the runway. He's wearing a suit and he looks mighty fine in it.

Yesterday was my first day working at Frosty Dream and I enjoyed every minute of it. It was a shock at first when Isaiah introduced himself as the Khalil that was supposed to train me but we quickly got over that hurdle. More like we pretended that I hadn't been a bitch to him all week at school.

Turns out Isaiah Khalil Carter is a really nice guy and a patient teacher. By the end of the day I was a pro at serving ice-cream and making milkshakes. Not to toot my own horn of course but even Archer said that I'd proven him wrong.

I catch myself ogling Isaiah and quickly reel my hormones back in.

"Did you join Men In Black without inviting me?" I ask him feigning betrayal when I get over the initial shock of how good he looks.

"I'm sorry, it was an abrupt recruitment, maybe next year." He replies humoring me.

I smile because he would look good wearing suits all day and fighting off bad guys.

"Seriously what's with the suit?"

"Early mass."

"You go to church?!"

"Don't sound so surprised. My mom is a devout Catholic and she decided that her sons will be as well so yes I go to church." He explains.

"I'm sorry, my bad." I apologize.

"It's okay. I take it your family isn't religious?"

"Definitely not."

I've been to church a couple of times but only for weddings and baptisms, never for a service. My parents aren't really believers so I wasn't raised in a Christian home.