✯ chapter one

『 ↝ the brief encounter ↜ 』

~ ✯ ~

THE WORDS ENGRAVED ONTO THE VASE spelled out Thy choose wisely, for the price shan't always be deserved. No initials, no context. That's all that was written there. However Andie was looking intensely and stroking her thumb against the indented letters. It was her mothers before it all began going down.

She couldn't remember it, but from what she was told, her mother was a wonderful woman. Her name was Julia and she died many, many years ago. It was when Andie was only 3 years old.

Julia and her husband separated back in 2019, just a few months before Andie was born. From what she was told, Andie knew she had a sister somewhere in the world, however during the argument her father took her with him. Julia was left to fend with her unborn daughter.

Julia wasn't a fighter. She was a beautiful soul unable to harm another human being. Even the infected, for she has always had a lingering thought in her mind that there's still a person inside that's unable to do anything. And so Julia did not survive long in the apocalypse.

In 2023 Julia and her barely three-year old daughter stumbled upon a book roaming clicker that they barely managed to escape, not without a fight. When they came back to their hideout Julia was nearly bled out to death.

She knew she didn't have much longer to live, so she gave her beloved daughter to the only person she knew and trusted- Charlotte.

Charlotte also had a daughter, Lance who was 6 at the time. However seeing the state of dear Julia she knew she didn't have much choice and she took care of a little girl, who would turn out to care very deeply for both her and Lance.

Around 7 years later Charlotte stumbled upon a small community, and the people seeing as she was a single mother with two little girls, took her in and they've been living there ever since.

Or at least that's what Andie has been told. She couldn't remember her mother very clearly, only small flashes of her silhouette. For all that she knew, her older sister and her father were her only blood relatives left in this world. Although she wasn't even sure if thet actually existed.

~ ✯ ~

"Andie!" Charlotte, whom the girl called auntie, called her from downstairs. "Could you please go get a few rolls of toilet paper from the town storage?" She asked whilst Andie was coming down the stairs.

The girl nodded without saying anything and slipped her shoes on. She opened the front door and was immediately met with the fresh air. Although it was a bit chilly, she didn't bother putting a coat on. Her feet took her forward in the direction she was heading as her mind wandered off.

Her best friend in the entire world, maybe even her only friend excluding Maria and the nice bartender who sometimes greeted her or acknowledged her in any other way, was Lance. They basically grew up together, lived under one roof and told each other everything. She was also like an older sister to her.

One thing Lance knew about, that nobody else did, except for a nice bartender in town, was Andie's long and secret crush, Ellie Williams. It wasn't really that secret, as she would blush immensely around her and couldn't peel her eyes off of her, it was just that she didn't really have anyone else she could say it to.